User Stats

Votes
Robert Bolejszo
Votes |
NJ Notice to Quit - communication options? Attorneys

Robert Bolejszo
Posted Aug 1 2022, 08:58

Hi,

are you able to use DocU sign to communicate a notice to quit to a tenant (And require the tenant to sign it)? or is certified mail the only option?

User Stats

Votes
Ron Brady
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Burlington County, NJ
Votes |
  • Burlington County, NJ
Replied Aug 2 2022, 05:05

@Robert Bolejszo

I'm not an attorney. But, here are our lessons learned from sending one, as advised by our NJ attorney.

The notice formally tells the tenant to leave the home. You write and send it. We sent it by email and certified mail. For the certified mail we used an online mailing tool like Mailform or Click2Mail. PM me if you'd like our template.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Manafi
  • Realtor
  • New Jersey
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • New Jersey
Replied Aug 2 2022, 06:32

@Robert Bolejszo I would definitely recommend consulting a qualified Landlord Tenant attorney if you are unsure. In my experience, we always have it delivered via Certified Mail with Return Receipt Requested. Not sure if this is because it's mandated by law, but I think it provides the strongest paper trail (especially with the Return Receipt Requested) in the event that the tenant refuses delivery, etc.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Vaughn Smith
  • Investor
  • New Jersey
Votes |
  • Investor
  • New Jersey
Replied Aug 2 2022, 07:09

@Robert Bolejszo You're not always going to be able to get a tenant to sign a notice to quit, in many instance they won't. I and my clients use certified mail to deliver notice and also email as a back up option when we can.

User Stats

Votes
Gargi Keeling
  • santa cruz county, CA
Votes |
  • santa cruz county, CA
Replied Nov 17 2022, 08:03

I'd appreciate if someone could share a template for notice to quit. Our tenant is a long term (10 year) tenant and I acquired the property earlier this year. After many repairs and remodeling, I'm trying to raise rents to a bit under market rate. Upstairs tenant agreed to increase but downstairs didn't. They are both on month to month.

I tried negotiating a lower rate but that wasn't low enough for them so I am giving them until Feb 1 to get their next place lined up and move. I feel that I am being very generous but tenant has been a bit difficult in the past so I'm not sure how she will react. I want to make sure I'm doing everything by the book and happy to be a bit generous to make this go smoothly.

I usually get electronic signatures for everything but it seems like I should send via certified mail, too. Appreciate a proven template to do this! I'm already losing a ton on this investment so trying to avoid legal fees. TNX