General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Garrett O.
Votes |
Tenant Problems for a Landlord

Garrett O.
Posted Aug 5 2022, 11:03

Hey everyone, first time on here. Hope everyone is doing great. I'm looking to get some feedback/advice/thoughts on this situation with a family member and there property.. 

They have a tenant who started to pay late constantly, and would say the money is coming and it did and they would eventually catch up... Well lets say since the new year has started these people haven't paid rent.. They are 7 months behind and haven't filed anything for covid relief.. He's lived there for around 2 years now. He has been avoiding us for the past month to 2 months from texts/calls.. Granted we are finally able to evict him I believe from covid moratorium ending in the area of Lomita. They are around $21,000+ behind, finally a response from the tenant after we threaten with (a 3 day pay or quit) and when the guy finally responds he said in 2 weeks he should have roughly $7,000 to give to us.....  The landlord wants to give it a shot, and wait because he says its very hard and costly to get your money back from someone and would end up likely not getting it...

(kicker-doesn't have written lease, only verbal) 

I'm the type to stop the bleeding where it is and get them out and someone new in... (especially once they are this far behind)

thoughts/comments please??

(Granted the guy was single at 1 point, and last year ended up marrying and taking on the wife with 3 kids.. Which I know has to be a big life change) 

User Stats

Votes
Charles Carillo
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • North Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • North Palm Beach, FL
Replied Aug 5 2022, 11:37

@Garrett O.

You need an eviction attorney. You need to start the eviction. You are not getting any money from this tenant. Evictions need to begin when tenants start slipping (unless you are able to come up with a payment schedule and they follow it). When tenants start avoiding you, there are no more payment plans or favors; evictions need to start. You could also offer him $1,000 to move out within the next 7-14 days (once he is out you give him the cash). 

User Stats

Votes
Greg M.
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Aug 5 2022, 11:39

Given the rapidly changing laws in LA, this is not a do it yourself situation. Get an attorney and evict. Get a judgment and go after their wages and bank accounts. 

The tenant is dodging you. This alone says "evict me".

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bjorn Ahlblad
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Replied Aug 5 2022, 11:40

@Garrett O.Welcome to BP! Your family member is so far gone and probably won't listen to any advice at this point. The only advice I would give is turn this mess over to a PM to take care of and stay out of their way. Or sell. All the best!

User Stats

Votes
Justin Moy
  • Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied Aug 5 2022, 11:45

Someone who can't pay rent for 2 years isn't going to fall into $7k to pay back rent. I wouldn't wait for it I'd pursue the eviction. Might not even be an eviction if there's no lease, could fall under squatter but not sure, definitely get an attorney. I would have likely offered cash for keys on this tenant a long time ago!

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Aug 6 2022, 05:53

First mistake was to allow this to go more than 60 days. Now you're in a real pickle.

Don't wait for the $7,000. It's probably just another delay tactic. Hire an attorney now and get this done right.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied Aug 7 2022, 08:40

@Garrett O.  the $7000 is coming from the lottery they expect to win in two  weeks....  PLease convince your family member to get an attorney. You are in LA it is a tough place and the laws may change soon. Get them out while you can

User Stats

Votes
Garrett O.
Votes |
Replied Aug 11 2022, 15:20
Quote from @Charles Carillo:

@Garrett O.

You need an eviction attorney. You need to start the eviction. You are not getting any money from this tenant. Evictions need to begin when tenants start slipping (unless you are able to come up with a payment schedule and they follow it). When tenants start avoiding you, there are no more payment plans or favors; evictions need to start. You could also offer him $1,000 to move out within the next 7-14 days (once he is out you give him the cash). 

I agree. I wouldn't have let it get this far along... I know Covid played a roll and it got out of hand but letting communication and the dodging go on for so long was just not a smart idea.. Unfortunately I believe they are going to wait till this next week and just the tenant to see if he comes through... I'm not a fan of it but 1 week will show if we get some type of money from him. Hopefully he comes through because that's a lot more time wasted just to then start eviction process and more money to be lost... 

Thanks for your input Charles!

User Stats

Votes
Garrett O.
Votes |
Replied Aug 11 2022, 15:22
Quote from @Greg M.:

Given the rapidly changing laws in LA, this is not a do it yourself situation. Get an attorney and evict. Get a judgment and go after their wages and bank accounts. 

The tenant is dodging you. This alone says "evict me".

I'm there with you.. The rules out here have been very tough for landlords, and don't seem to be getting any better towards our favor... I believe that's a good next step to do.. I will keep the noted on the coming meeting with family..

Thanks Greg!

User Stats

Votes
Garrett O.
Votes |
Replied Aug 11 2022, 15:26
Quote from @Bjorn Ahlblad:

@Garrett O.Welcome to BP! Your family member is so far gone and probably won't listen to any advice at this point. The only advice I would give is turn this mess over to a PM to take care of and stay out of their way. Or sell. All the best!

Bjorn, appreciate the welcome. Yes I believe they are very gone and not really looking at the actuality of what's taken place, and how hard its going to be to gain the money back they are behind at this point.. Can't even talk late fees once your this far back... Hopefully This is there learning experience. I actually have been looking into PM's lately and getting prices, so we will see what's to come. 

Appreciate your time and input!

User Stats

Votes
Garrett O.
Votes |
Replied Aug 11 2022, 15:29
Quote from @Justin Moy:

Someone who can't pay rent for 2 years isn't going to fall into $7k to pay back rent. I wouldn't wait for it I'd pursue the eviction. Might not even be an eviction if there's no lease, could fall under squatter but not sure, definitely get an attorney. I would have likely offered cash for keys on this tenant a long time ago!

Justin thanks for your input. 

It wasn't 2 years they have just been behind a bit, which they were catching up but since the new year they haven't paid.. Getting now to be $21,000 plus... Its been a headache and struggle. We Will see what is up and coming in the next week to see if they pay the $7,000 as promised.. I don't have my fingers crossed though as we have heard it before. I'm gonna be pushing my family member for eviction again after this point... Just has gotten to be way out of hand and to annoying to have to worry and deal with. 

User Stats

Votes
Garrett O.
Votes |
Replied Aug 11 2022, 15:32
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

First mistake was to allow this to go more than 60 days. Now you're in a real pickle.

Don't wait for the $7,000. It's probably just another delay tactic. Hire an attorney now and get this done right.

Nathan I agree. It got way out of hand and went way past what it should have been. I'm alright being a month-2 and being in communication all the way and having a plan through it all. Yet this was no where near or like that and no they are paying the price. Going to be a lesson learned forsure. 

We will see how that $7,000 is looking in a week since they decided to wait.. Or what its not looking like and how we just wasted time and more money to finally start the process.... ughhh

thanks for your time and input!!

User Stats

Votes
Garrett O.
Votes |
Replied Aug 11 2022, 15:35
Quote from @Colleen F.:

@Garrett O.  the $7000 is coming from the lottery they expect to win in two  weeks....  PLease convince your family member to get an attorney. You are in LA it is a tough place and the laws may change soon. Get them out while you can

Colleen, thanks for your time and input!!! 

I agree being behind this much and coming up with $7,000 is going to be interesting to see. Were going to see what type of plan he has next week if the money comes up, and really what's going on since he's been in hiding and avoiding... I agree were not gonna have much time before I'm sure of some way to help the tenants out again and not the landlords here.. Hopefully nothing changes in the next week and I can give you guys an update sometime next week!!

User Stats

Votes
Wesley W.
  • The Vampire State
Votes |
  • The Vampire State
Replied Aug 11 2022, 18:17

I will wager that a week from now when Garrett posts an update on this situation, this tenant will not have paid the $7,000, as promised.  I will give 10 to 1 odds.

This is the "sunk cost fallacy" punching this landlord in the face.

User Stats

Votes
Katelyn Andrews
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Middle Georgia
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Middle Georgia
Replied Aug 11 2022, 18:22

In my experience when the tenant starts avoiding you it’s over with. They can catch up but in my opinion now they know how far they can push. 
I know it’s never comfortable to evict, but it’s not realistic for this to be the new “norm” with this tenant. You are asking for a lot of long term problems. 

User Stats

Votes
Garrett O.
Votes |
Replied Sep 9 2022, 14:38
Quote from @Wesley W.:

I will wager that a week from now when Garrett posts an update on this situation, this tenant will not have paid the $7,000, as promised.  I will give 10 to 1 odds.

This is the "sunk cost fallacy" punching this landlord in the face.

Alright, I have been feeling the exact same way! Today is going to be the day of truth!

User Stats

Votes
Garrett O.
Votes |
Replied Sep 9 2022, 14:39
Quote from @Katelyn Andrews:

In my experience when the tenant starts avoiding you it’s over with. They can catch up but in my opinion now they know how far they can push. 
I know it’s never comfortable to evict, but it’s not realistic for this to be the new “norm” with this tenant. You are asking for a lot of long term problems. 

I agree, not that I have dealt with it before from a tenant.. But people in general, whether its work related or anything.. non responses consistently is usually a sign of things not headed or being in the right direction.. Its a sure sign of lack of respect for one another, and ultimately hiding... 

User Stats

Votes
Garrett O.
Votes |
Replied Sep 9 2022, 14:54

Long awaited reply, As things were being worked out with other jobs... Tenant received there 3 day notice, he came outside to talk to me without wife... He told me give him 30 minutes to look things over and come out to talk, because he stated he doesn't want to be kicked out and wanted to work on a payment plan... (his wife came out to talk with us, that's how you know it was serious)

Yesterday was his last day he should be out, and we can go to sheriffs department today and get it started so they can come evict.. 

We didn't do this today though because his payment plan he wrote up stated today would be a payment of $7,000....

So figured might as well wait another day.. Meeting is set up for 5:30 so wish us luck.... He has another payment set in 2 weeks, basically supposed to be making payments through November twice a month to catch up and be up to date into November... with late fees its total behind comes around $29,000+ to November so we shall see how today and moving forward goes.. 

If it doesn't happen I won't be surprised, if it does I will be... But this is one of many payments so we will see if he keeps his word.. 

I'll post more updates soon. Everyone cross your fingers for landlords. 

User Stats

Votes
Henry T.
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Sep 10 2022, 00:01

There's nothing you can do. Your Los Angeles city council members all voted to extend the eviction moratorium. 

https://dcba.lacounty.gov/noev...

User Stats

Votes
Garrett O.
Votes |
Replied Sep 12 2022, 20:32
Quote from @Henry T.:

There's nothing you can do. Your Los Angeles city council members all voted to extend the eviction moratorium. 

https://dcba.lacounty.gov/noev...

yes, I cannot! but it can be a scare tactic and see how they react.

User Stats

Votes
Garrett O.
Votes |
Replied Sep 12 2022, 20:35

tenant ended up paying $6,000 on Saturday! so we got a little bit least its almost 2 months rent.. We will see what we get next after this contact is signed this week.. To get everything paid up by November he looked to be having payments every 2-3 weeks.. So should be having more coming shortly... Feels like a small win, and the ball is rolling, hopefully it will continue!!

User Stats

Votes
Melanie Thomas
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Antonio
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Antonio
Replied Sep 13 2022, 08:55

With such a high amount in unpaid rent and unfulfilled promises to pay, the 7k is not coming. I am with you, stop the bleeding! Evict, evict, evict! I would partner with a PM company who has a landlord rescue program or something of the like to help! The goal is to turn the performance of the investment around as quickly as possible. Continuing to let the tenant stay for free is not the way to go. Life changing events are a big deal yes, but not one the landlord should be concerned with. Good luck and hope they pay or quit asap! 

User Stats

Votes
Greg R.
  • Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Sep 13 2022, 09:02

Doesn't sound to me like you're the "stop the bleeding type" if you haven't collected rent in 9 months and still haven't hired an attorney and started the eviction process. 

User Stats

Votes
Garrett O.
Votes |
Replied Feb 1 2023, 21:26
Quote from @Melanie Thomas:

With such a high amount in unpaid rent and unfulfilled promises to pay, the 7k is not coming. I am with you, stop the bleeding! Evict, evict, evict! I would partner with a PM company who has a landlord rescue program or something of the like to help! The goal is to turn the performance of the investment around as quickly as possible. Continuing to let the tenant stay for free is not the way to go. Life changing events are a big deal yes, but not one the landlord should be concerned with. Good luck and hope they pay or quit asap! 

Yes I agree with this.. unfortunately its a stubborn Owner and he isn't letting go as he is saying its much harder to kick someone out and collect then to try and make a payment plan to get your money back... Basically in the 5 months leading from this we are back to square one of him owe the landlord basically the same amount and the landlord wanting to come up with another payment plan... I'm going nuts! :( 

User Stats

Votes
Garrett O.
Votes |
Replied Feb 1 2023, 21:27
Quote from @Greg R.:

Doesn't sound to me like you're the "stop the bleeding type" if you haven't collected rent in 9 months and still haven't hired an attorney and started the eviction process. 

I'm the type, its just not my property to be in control of.. I can just try and help and hope the owner listens, which hasn't been the case... The moratorium here I believe has a lot of landlords in handcuffs, but also scared to try things..

User Stats

Votes
Garrett O.
Votes |
Replied Feb 1 2023, 21:28

Welp we will see as we are finalizing a new payment plan through April to get caught up which will be pretty insane if you ask me.. I'm not seeing it happen.. $10,000/month through April..