• Investor
  • Oklahoma City
Votes |
DADU - How does that work?

Brian Sweeney
  • Investor
  • Oklahoma City
Posted Aug 5 2022, 16:19

My rental property has a garage with upstairs apartment that was once used. It has since fallen into disrepair and now that I'm the owner I'm considering rehabbing the garage and apartment for additional income.
Anyone done this before?

What issues did you run into?

How do addresses work with a DADU? It doesn't appear to be a separate mailing address.

Any zoning issues? Would you suggest contacting the city to remain compliant or does zoning apply to DADU's?

User Stats

Votes
Will Fraser
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Salt Lake City & Oklahoma City
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Salt Lake City & Oklahoma City
Replied Nov 3 2022, 08:42

Hi @Brian Sweeney

This is somewhat common in the Urban Core and there are many different viewpoints on what should happen.

Often I see the address listed as House number + .5 or House Number Garage.  The mailpeople seem to get it.  The utility companies will each have a different way of dealing with it according to their internal systems, too.  Having the meter numbers handy will save you some time when calling to interact with them about these services.

Zoning issues . . . woof.  

If you ask a tax man if you owe taxes . . . Yes you do.

If you ask the zoning board if there is a zoning issue. . . yes there is.

The prevailing wisdom with things that have been in existence for a while (i.e. predate the city plan and are grandfathered in) is that if they are in tact then great!  If at some point they become damaged beyond a threshold (like 50% for example) then you would need a permit to rebuild the damaged unit, and when you go to pull that new permit THEN you'd be subject to modern zoning overlays and no longer grandfathered in.

As to what to do with this information, I can neither confirm of deny anything above.

Burn this after reading.  Take luck.  Godspeed

User Stats

Votes
Brian Sweeney
  • Investor
  • Oklahoma City
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Oklahoma City
Replied Dec 28 2022, 13:06

Appreciate that @Will Fraser. Very helpful!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes