Votes
Jorge Castillo
Pro Member
Votes |
Help with a rental property

Jorge Castillo
Pro Member
Posted Aug 6 2022, 14:50

Hi guys, i keep wondering if i should applly the 5% vacancy, etc to any rental properties wihout checking out income? like i have this rental property and when i do my nunbers having CoC return of 8% i give 5% in all categories from the rental calculator and 10% for property manager gives me a $75 montly, deff low....What you guys think ?

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Aug 6 2022, 15:52

@Jorge Castillo

I never use standard numbers. For capex and repairs I will look at what needs replacement in 5 years and it’s cost and allocate towards that. I will run repairs by property condition and determine a cost

For vacancy I review the area and historical. But I always carry a min. Of 8% (one month)

Also depending on average tenant time I carry $ for turnover costs as well.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Aug 7 2022, 06:30
Quote from @Jorge Castillo:

5% may be low, but I don't know your market.

When I calculate, I use numbers based on my knowledge of the market in a town of 10,000 managing 400 rentals. You also have to adjust maintenance and capex. A brand new house may have 5% for maintenance and nothing for capex, whereas an old house needs 10% for both.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jim Strickland
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Jackson, MS
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Jackson, MS
Replied Aug 26 2022, 07:22

Hey Jorge! I just came across your post and saw that you are also in the Jackson, MS area.  We offer an 8% management fee for owners with more than one home if you would be interested!

https://www.evernest.co/pricin...