• Oklahoma City, OK
Votes |
Recommendations for Property Management Software - 10-49 units

Ben Scott
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Posted Aug 8 2022, 08:39

After toiling away with Excel lo the last many years, I'd like to invest in a property management software. I understand AppFolio but they won't manage anything under 50 units. I'm looking for a platform to manage 10-15 this year and manage growth for next year. I'm aware of Tenant Cloud and Avail but haven't dug into either quite yet. 

User Stats

Votes
Tim Miller
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Laurel, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Laurel, MD
Replied Aug 8 2022, 10:32

Everyone is going to love the software they use, my best advise is to pick about 3 to 5 of them and setup test accounts. Then start putting them through your normal processes and see which one will work for you.

We used Avail but it had too many issues for us to keep. We paid the extra $5.00 to get rent payments next day. Well it really didn't happen and wasn't worth it. There were other system issues that hinder accounting process.

Tenant Cloud, we looked at it but you have to sign up to a separate service in order to offer online rental payments. Why? It should be part of the same platform.

We ended up using Innago. It met 85% of our needs and it has a very easy setup process for our tenants. Good Luck.

User Stats

Votes
Jasmine Delves
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Denver, CO
Replied Aug 8 2022, 16:34

There are lots of great options out there. You can narrow it down a bit by determining which features you are looking for. For example, some software has built-in rental accounting but with others, you have to pay extra. Some have built-in tenant screening and others allow you to automate late fees.

Many have free trials so you can try them out before you commit. Then once you have decided, most of them should scale easily with your projected growth.

BiggerPockets logo
Meet Investor-Friendly Agents
|
BiggerPockets
Network with top investor-friendly agents who can help you find, analyze, and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Aug 9 2022, 05:44

The above advice is solid. You'll never find perfect software, so figure out your primary pain points. Sign up for trial accounts with 3-5 different platforms and start testing them. Enter a new rental into each one. Market a unit. Run a fake application. Enter and track a maintenance request. How does it handle communication? Payments? What reports are available for you as the owner?

Find the one that works best for you and sign up. After 1-2 years of use, you'll know if it's really lacking in a particular area and will be better able to shop for something more complete.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Aug 9 2022, 09:11

@Ben Scott

We use Propertyware, have experience with Buildium and have played with Appfolio and RentManager.

Buildium is for smaller companies.

The other three are tied, the differences being how much automation & customization you want to do.

If you don't see yourself growing beyond 150 units, go with Buildium.

If you're not very techy and plan to grow over 150 units, we'd recommend Appfolio.

If you're techy and plan to grow over 150 units, we'd recommend Propertyware or RentManager.

Of course, schedule some demos, take GREAT notes and them make your decision.

FYI - there are MANY new options on the market, RentRedi, TenantCloud, Apartments.com, Rentec, most will not survive, so you would then have to switch:(

User Stats

Votes
Ben Scott
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Replied Aug 9 2022, 10:18

Thanks to everyone who replied. Very helpful. We're lucky to have this platform to bounce questions off each other. 

User Stats

Votes
Will Fraser
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Salt Lake City & Oklahoma City
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Nov 8 2022, 12:34

I've also heard great things about DoorLoop, but personally my PM company runs on Buildium and I can second and third Drew and Nathan's guidance above.

You might give Stessa a whirl and ride along with them as they try to spin up into a full-fledged PM software co!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 9 2022, 00:17

Each software has its pros and cons so it would be a good idea to start a trial on a few and see which fits your management style the best.

I personally use buildium to manage mine. The price is currently $50 a month for up to 20 rentals. It costs $99 to set up an account for online billing, but after it's set up my tenants find it very easy to use the portal.

User Stats

Votes
Ben Scott
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Replied Nov 9 2022, 06:01

@Abby Marshall Le Did you find a steep learning curve with Buildium? I gave that one a shot and couldn't figure it out. Maybe I'll take another crack at it.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 9 2022, 15:38
Quote from @Ben Scott:

@Abby Marshall Le Did you find a steep learning curve with Buildium? I gave that one a shot and couldn't figure it out. Maybe I'll take another crack at it.

It did take awhile to figure out the online payment system and how to set up the tenant's lease dates in the system, but I eventually figured it out thanks to YouTube tutorials. If you have any specific questions about how to do something I'd be happy to do a phone or Skype call with you and walk you through what I know. Just let me know!

User Stats

Votes
Alicia Marks
Pro Member
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied Nov 11 2022, 08:55

If you are interested in Rentredi, it is free to use for all pro members!

User Stats

Votes
Will Fraser
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Feb 1 2023, 07:17
Quote from @Drew Sygit:

@Ben Scott

We use Propertyware, have experience with Buildium and have played with Appfolio and RentManager.

Buildium is for smaller companies.

The other three are tied, the differences being how much automation & customization you want to do.

If you don't see yourself growing beyond 150 units, go with Buildium.

If you're not very techy and plan to grow over 150 units, we'd recommend Appfolio.

If you're techy and plan to grow over 150 units, we'd recommend Propertyware or RentManager.

Of course, schedule some demos, take GREAT notes and them make your decision.

FYI - there are MANY new options on the market, RentRedi, TenantCloud, Apartments.com, Rentec, most will not survive, so you would then have to switch:(

I've heard a decent number of people say, as you have, that Buildium is for smaller companies . . . what about Buildium makes it not work at a larger scale?

User Stats

Votes
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Feb 1 2023, 09:11

@Will Fraser Buildium has almost zero customization and few reports.

That makes it more difficult to use in a team environment. 

Also, the more services you offer the harder it is to track everything.

The MOST important thing though is to learn ANY software properly & thoroughly or it will just be "junk"!

FlipSystem logo
FlipSystem
|
Sponsored
Learn From Our Team. Earn 100% of the Profits. Join our community of 500+ investors! Avg profit per flip: $14k, Avg effort per week: 4hrs

User Stats

Votes
Will Fraser
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Feb 1 2023, 15:48
Quote from @Drew Sygit:

@Will Fraser Buildium has almost zero customization and few reports.

That makes it more difficult to use in a team environment. 

Also, the more services you offer the harder it is to track everything.

The MOST important thing though is to learn ANY software properly & thoroughly or it will just be "junk"!

Got it.  

Does Appfolio excellently address those pitfalls in your experience?

User Stats

Votes
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Feb 2 2023, 11:02

@Will Fraser Appfolio has more customization than Buildium, not as much as Propertyware or RentManager.

User Stats

Votes
Tommy Parker
  • Property Manager
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Feb 3 2023, 09:05

It never will fit all your needs so yeah finding some sticking points will help you. For me I needed to keep expenses down and something that manages my properties easier. I found Innago to help a great deal for those points.

User Stats

Votes
Will Fraser
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Feb 3 2023, 12:06
Quote from @Drew Sygit:

@Will Fraser Appfolio has more customization than Buildium, not as much as Propertyware or RentManager.

Thanks Drew!!