Daniel Kitt
Pro Member
Votes |
Solar for a Rental Property

Daniel Kitt
Pro Member
Posted Sep 3 2022, 16:50

Hi Everyone, 

We are getting ready to rent out our primary residence as we search for a new home. We have paid off solar on our current residence that powers the entire home. We are planning to leave it on when it becomes a rental. I am curious if any landlords have been in this scenario before and how you charged your tenants for the solar. 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Sep 3 2022, 17:24

@Daniel Kitt

I would increase the rent payment because of the solar and let them use it, easier than billing them back for usage.

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Sep 3 2022, 18:24
Quote from @Chris Seveney:

@Daniel Kitt

I would increase the rent payment because of the solar and let them use it, easier than billing them back for usage.

I agree. This seems the only logical choice.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Sep 4 2022, 04:50
Quote from @Daniel Kitt:

I'm with the others. Increase the rent so that you get some benefit and keep it low enough that the tent still gets some benefit. 

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Rick Albert#2 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Sep 6 2022, 10:59

I would look at the comps and go from there.

Not all tenants think about utility costs and therefore you could be pricing yourself out. For example, let's say rents are typically $3,000 for a house. With solar you are asking $3,100. Now any tenant who is only searching up to $3,000 won't see it, even though it would work for them.

Another option is to charge a base rent and then do a utility fee. For example, $3,000 and a $100/month electricity fee. I did a water fee on my back unit. Less hassle and still get a bigger pool of tenants.

User Stats

Votes
David Friedman
  • Property Manager
  • San Bernardino, CA
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • San Bernardino, CA
Replied Nov 3 2022, 19:43

I would not increase the base rent to include the solar. I would include it as a separate fee that you mention in the listing. If you were quickly scrolling through zillow as a renter and saw an exact replica of your house for lease, but yours was priced $100 higher, you would probably skip it. Don't expect most tenants out there to deep dive on why they should pay more to rent your house because it has solar. Market it at comparable rent in the area and add the $100 or so per month as an additional fee.