Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes

Lead Abatement relocation

Posted Sep 6 2022, 08:28

Hi

Longtime landlord, first time posting:  have to relocate two families during lead abatement--know any economical way to do this?

User Stats

Votes
Henry T.
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Sep 6 2022, 18:43

Just curious. Why do you have to move them? I don't recall the city of Flint, Michigan moving everybody out when lead was in the water. Still is I think.

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Sep 7 2022, 09:53

@Paul A. Maggiotto typically you put them up in a hotel.

You could also try to find a local STR property.

How long is the abatemnet projected to take?

Why can't you wait until leases are up to do the abatement?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 11 2022, 05:53
Quote from @Henry T.:

Just curious. Why do you have to move them? I don't recall the city of Flint, Michigan moving everybody out when lead was in the water. Still is I think.

Lead is in apartments, several layers deep, as there is in any building built around the turn of the century  What is frustrating is that I had children living in this apartment for years, and never had any lead poisoning.  Replaced all the windows. Leased to refugee family from Afghanistan--children already had lead poisonings from home country, but at first medical appointment in US, lead poisoning is discovered--all state wanted to know was where they lived, and lead paint  lead investigator finds lead several layers deep on a couple of baseboards, door jams, outside porch, and I have to abate. Will cost close to $50K. thanks for letting me vent.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 11 2022, 05:53
Quote from @Drew Sygit:

@Paul A. Maggiotto typically you put them up in a hotel.

You could also try to find a local STR property.

How long is the abatemnet projected to take?

Why can't you wait until leases are up to do the abatement?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 11 2022, 05:55

Yes, I know which is obviously expensive.   first there is the abatement process, then inspector has to come in and verify that the abatement was successful. Can take up to 30 days. 

What is frustrating is that I had children living in this apartment for years, and never had any lead poisoning. Replaced all the windows. Leased to refugee family from Afghanistan--at substantial rental discount as a humanitarian gesture.  Children already had lead poisonings from home country, but at first medical appointment in US, lead poisoning is discovered--all state wanted to know was where they lived, and lead paint lead investigator finds lead several layers deep on a couple of baseboards, door jams, outside porch, and I have to abate. Will cost close to $50K. thanks for letting me vent.

User Stats

Votes
Henry T.
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Sep 14 2022, 21:01

Rather than remove, glue or tack new slim boards or veneers  over everything. Why make all that mess? You just have to make it so nobody can eat it. Walls? put up sheets of wood paneling. Save the gutting for when everyone leaves.

Only replace what you really must.

User Stats

Votes
Christian Ehlers
  • Real Estate Agent
  • NH & MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • NH & MA
Replied Nov 3 2022, 06:36

Hey @Paul A. Maggiotto did you ever get this problem solved? Sorry to hear about that, seems like quite a costly situation. Were you given any other options for abatement or ensuring the lead paint was covered up completely? And was this in NH or MA?

I would try to strike a deal with either a hotel or Short term or mid term rental host and just see how low you can get those expenses. Best of luck

Christian Ehlers Realtor Logo