Votes
Pillar Jane Lagrito
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Rental Certifications in Warren Mi

Pillar Jane Lagrito
  • Los Angeles, CA
Posted Sep 7 2022, 22:53

Hi all! I've been searching for investment properties in Warren/Eastpointe area of Michigan and have cme across some propertirs, which I beloeve, may have unpermitted addtions (bathroom or bedrooms). How does that affect the application for the certificate of occupancy or rental certificates? Will you not get certified because of these issues? I'm assuming the additions are unpermitted since tax records are different from listing info. Thanks in advance!

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Sep 8 2022, 10:40

@Pillar Jane Lagrito We manage many rentals in Warren and can't remember the last time we saw what your'e describing.

When you say, "unpermitted", are you referring to lack of building permits pulled or additions to the building?

Additions: as long as proper building permits were pulled shouldn't be a problem. 

Building Permits NOT Pulled: they will have to be pulled by licensed contractor, NOT the owner, and pass city inspection.

User Stats

Votes
Pillar Jane Lagrito
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Sep 8 2022, 12:10
Quote from @Drew Sygit:

@Pillar Jane Lagrito We manage many rentals in Warren and can't remember the last time we saw what your'e describing.

When you say, "unpermitted", are you referring to lack of building permits pulled or additions to the building?

Additions: as long as proper building permits were pulled shouldn't be a problem. 

Building Permits NOT Pulled: they will have to be pulled by licensed contractor, NOT the owner, and pass city inspection.

Hi Drew, 

One of the properties I'm interested in has 4 bed/2 bath in the listing, while public records (BS&A website) says its 3bed / 1/2 bath. I was assuming they added a bedroom or turned an area of their existing home into a bedroom without a permit. So if the actual number of beds and baths is different from what records say, I was wondering if it's going to create a problem when securing the rental certificate.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Sep 9 2022, 05:28

@Pillar Jane Lagrito You would not believe how much inaccurate data is in the city records in the Metro Detroit area!

We've had experiences where a city admitted they had permits for additions in their computer systems, but no one ever updated the proerty data.

So, wouldn't worry too much about it as in 25+ years we've never had a problem with it. Just call the city Building Dept for clarification.

User Stats

Votes
Pillar Jane Lagrito
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Sep 12 2022, 22:28

Thanks Drew. That gives me some peace of mind.