• USA
Votes |
Repetitive HVAC Theft, Cages, and Insurance Claims

Jordan L.
  • Investor
  • USA
Posted Sep 13 2022, 14:29

Hey BP,

I have a rental property in South Carolina that has had the HVAC package unit stolen three times in the past 8 years, always when the property is vacant.  The property is an A- class property, but unfortunately is in a somewhat rural area.  I believe the next door neighbors are involved for several reasons, so I do foresee it happening again in the future.  The last theft was in 2017.  I had metal t-posts cemented into the ground around the new unit, but this was not enough to prevent another theft that I've just learned has occurred.

My first concern:  Is it likely that my insurance carrier will drop me if I file a second claim?  I filed a claim for the theft in 2017.  I also have an unrelated claim on another property from 2020.  I use Nationwide.

Second, does anyone use cages around their units?  Do they actually prevent theft if the individual has ample time to commit the offense...  like overnight or in a rural area?

I will likely install a security camera.  I am also considering using a livestock electric fence energizer for the cage to really make any attempt at theft more... interesting.

Thank you.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Sep 13 2022, 16:28

@Jordan Little

I doubt your insurance would get cancelled but definitely put in cameras.

User Stats

Votes
Bill Brandt#3 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Sep 13 2022, 17:13

You PROBABLY won’t get cancelled as long as they don’t think you’re involved. Your rates will PROBABLY go up. 3 thefts in 8 years SOUNDS like a lot. But believe me. Anyone stealing for profit would be stealing 3 times per year. Put up a security camera that sees the ac but also the front or something more useful. As again, as someone that’s been victimized too many times. You’re going to have a video of a black hoodie pulled uo over their entire body whering gloves. You’re not going to catch anyone. You’re just going to have “proof” it was stolen 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Sep 13 2022, 17:35

Hid a a tracking device in it.

In each of the parts.

Share the info with the local Sheriff.

User Stats

Votes
Jordan L.
  • Investor
  • USA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • USA
Replied Sep 13 2022, 17:39

Thanks all for the suggestions.  What about theft deterrent BEFORE the theft occurs?  I don't want to replace it a fourth time.

I'm also considering government-building style metal security fencing just around the units.

User Stats

Votes
Caroline Gerardo
  • Lender
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Replied Sep 13 2022, 18:01

How can you make the metal cage look pretty? I'm coming out to see the house and it looks like prison? 

Can you remove the AC when property turns over?

Electric current will end up killing possums and dogs so no.

Knock on neighbor's door. Look and see what AC model they  have

Label yours with permanent hot pink spray paint

Concrete the unit into the ground -slab 5 inches deep and weld to it.

Lock up disconnect box so they get electrocuted when they do the steal 

look on craigs list for the HVAC guy selling them and call him to come to random addresses

Aim cameras where the truck parks and don't let them know you can record plates

Motion lights that make sound, there's some barking ones

Fence the yard, put a big dog there when it's vacant, thinking Doberman.

Put sign up about dog who bites.

Do you really know which neighbor did this? 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Sep 13 2022, 18:44
Quote from @Jordan L.:

What about theft deterrent BEFORE the theft occurs?  I don't want to replace it a fourth time.

Moat with alligators!  Do it!  Do it!  Do it! ...

User Stats

Votes
Will Gaston
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbia, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Columbia, SC
Replied Sep 14 2022, 02:20
Quote from @Jordan L.:

Hey BP,

I have a rental property in South Carolina that has had the HVAC package unit stolen three times in the past 8 years, always when the property is vacant.  The property is an A- class property, but unfortunately is in a somewhat rural area.  I believe the next door neighbors are involved for several reasons, so I do foresee it happening again in the future.  The last theft was in 2017.  I had metal t-posts cemented into the ground around the new unit, but this was not enough to prevent another theft that I've just learned has occurred.

My first concern:  Is it likely that my insurance carrier will drop me if I file a second claim?  I filed a claim for the theft in 2017.  I also have an unrelated claim on another property from 2020.  I use Nationwide.

Second, does anyone use cages around their units?  Do they actually prevent theft if the individual has ample time to commit the offense...  like overnight or in a rural area?

I will likely install a security camera.  I am also considering using a livestock electric fence energizer for the cage to really make any attempt at theft more... interesting.

Thank you.

Hey Jordan, sorry to hear that. I’m curious where in Columbia this happened? 

User Stats

Votes
Melanie Thomas
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Antonio
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Antonio
Replied Sep 14 2022, 11:22
Flame throwers! In all seriousness... I doubt the insurance will drop you but rates will surely go up. I wanted to report that cages will work but the fact that your in such a rural area with the thieves having no real time crunch to do their bidding, it will not stop them. They would  just need the right tools. I would say your best bet is camera and an alarm system. Perhaps if you caught them in the act, you could sound the alarm and scare them away also alerting the authorities.

Point Central is an alarm company that has a ton of alarm solutions for landlords/pm companies. You should give them a buzz to see if they can offer you a unique solution.

User Stats

Votes
Jordan L.
  • Investor
  • USA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • USA
Replied Sep 14 2022, 12:15

@Will Gaston the property is in Lugoff, actually.  

@Melanie Thomas Thank you for the suggestion.  I'm going to give them a call.  I'm 2700 miles away from the property so to watch at all times will be impossible, but if they have a functional alert system in place that could immediately push to my phone, that would be perfect for my needs.

I'm certain it's the same individual/neighbor stealing the units each time.  It happens like clockwork when someone moves out, so it has got to be someone who sees the property on a daily basis and knows when a vacancy occurs.  This particular neighbor is known for harassing my tenants as well--  my most recent tenant had to call law enforcement regarding these guys.  Their driveway is right at the property line (on the side with the units, of course).  They live in a ratty trailer back in the woods.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Sep 15 2022, 05:18
Quote from @Jordan L.:

I live in a different world. I have never, ever had someone steal HVAC, an appliance, etc. Nobody has ever broken into a home and squatted. Half the people around here don't even lock their doors at night.

It's sad that people live in areas where this kind of behavior is accepted as part of doing business.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Joe Bertolino
  • Investor
  • El Dorado Hills, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • El Dorado Hills, CA
Replied Oct 5 2022, 10:19

When I have had a problem with properties like that I ask one of my contractors or other contacts if they have anyone who would want to stay there temporarily between tenants.   Usually a young guy with a blow up mattress and Roku TV that's happy to be out of his parent's house for a month.  I paid them $25 a day.  

User Stats

Votes
Malkia Ra
  • Prince George's County, MD
Votes |
  • Prince George's County, MD
Replied Oct 5 2022, 11:32
Quote from @Joe Bertolino:

When I have had a problem with properties like that I ask one of my contractors or other contacts if they have anyone who would want to stay there temporarily between tenants.   Usually a young guy with a blow up mattress and Roku TV that's happy to be out of his parent's house for a month.  I paid them $25 a day.  

That's an excellent idea, actually.