Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied Sep 22 2022, 07:22

Yes you can.  If you find they are smoking, give them notice and remind them there is no smoking.  Do that once.  After that, evict them for not following the lease...or if it is close to time to renew the lease, do not renew the lease.

User Stats

Votes
Sandy Keller
Votes |
Replied Sep 22 2022, 07:30
Quote from @Theresa Harris:

Yes you can.  If you find they are smoking, give them notice and remind them there is no smoking.  Do that once.  After that, evict them for not following the lease...or if it is close to time to renew the lease, do not renew the lease.

So just be sure that the  lease says no smoking.   I will check that with my property manager...... and if it doesn't we will just have to add that into future leases. :)

I am new and learning. :)

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Justine Veal
  • Investor
  • Atl, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Atl, GA
Replied Sep 22 2022, 07:34

Is it in your lease? If not I would add that to the lease and go over it with each tenant before they sign. Otherwise it will be difficult to enforce. If its in the lease whenever someone breaks a rule you can serve them a notice to comply. Remember to always follow up! Hope this helps!

User Stats

Votes
Sandy Keller
Votes |
Replied Sep 22 2022, 07:41
Quote from @Justine Veal:

Is it in your lease? If not I would add that to the lease and go over it with each tenant before they sign. Otherwise it will be difficult to enforce. If its in the lease whenever someone breaks a rule you can serve them a notice to comply. Remember to always follow up! Hope this helps!

Thank you.  I kind of inherited these properties from my Dad when he went to Heaven.  There is a property manager.  I really should get him to give me a copy of the lease and discuss changes with him.  I have so much to learn and I am learning as I go a long.  I want to raise rents, improve properties and get better tenants, but it is a large job and only so many things can be done at once.  :)

User Stats

Votes
Henry T.
Pro Member
#4 Land & New Construction Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Land & New Construction Contributor
Replied Sep 22 2022, 08:34

Abolutely. You have all the rules written in your lease. Don't be afraid to pile on the rules. They're necessary for keeping your building looking sharp and lets tenants know not to mess with you.  Rule #27: "Only one vehicle allowed on property, must be currently licensed, and parked in designated space #423B".....stuff like that.

User Stats

Votes
Malkia Ra
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Prince George's County, MD
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Prince George's County, MD
Replied Sep 22 2022, 08:59

Um, yeah.

1. Disclose this in your advertisements.
2. Include this as a violation in the lease.

If they violate, bump them outta there!

User Stats

Votes
Dena Puliatti
  • Property Manager
  • Huntsville, AL
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Huntsville, AL
Replied Sep 22 2022, 09:10

Make sure you have sold proof.  I know it smells, but a picture of an ashtray goes a long way if they pull the "It smelled like this when we moved in."  We do quarterly inspections for this specific reason.  I want to see if there are any unreported leaks, change the air filters, make sure there is a fire extinguisher, check the smoke detectors, and see what's going on in the unit.  If there is an infraction, a notice is posted on the spot.

User Stats

Votes
Sandy Keller
Votes |
Replied Sep 22 2022, 09:30

Very good information. Thanks for helping me get some good ideas and education.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Sep 23 2022, 04:56
Quote from @Sandy Keller:

Can you have a no smoking policy in your rental units, and if so how do you enforce it?

Absolutely! Your lease should say no smoking or vaping (of any product) and should include penalties for violating the rule. Inspect at least once every six months for every renter. That should be sufficient to catch violations. Inspect every three months if you're suspicious. If you catch them, give them 72 hours to clean and pass another inspection. If they refuse, fail, or violate again, terminate the lease and get them out.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo