Votes
Tomeka Wray
Pro Member
Votes |
Utilities not Connected as advised

Tomeka Wray
Pro Member
Posted Oct 1 2022, 10:59

So today my tenant is scheduled to move in. I told her two weeks ago to make sure that she has her utilities start on Friday Sept. 30th, because the utility company didn't have start dates on the weekend. Also I scheduled the stop service on my account on Sept. 30th. So when I show up today to do the walk thru, there is no power. She scheduled the utilities to start on Monday. As a result she has no power this weekend and we could not do a full walk thru because I could not start anything that was plugged up. In the lease she is responsible for her utilities. Is this something that I need to be concerned with?

User Stats

Votes
Bjorn Ahlblad
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Replied Oct 1 2022, 11:35

I would be somewhat concerned. That is a lease violation and the tenant might be irresponsible-OK, maybe forgetful-I once forgot to pay the rent for our new office, so it happens! All the best!

User Stats

Votes
Wesley W.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • The Vampire State
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • The Vampire State
Replied Oct 1 2022, 11:40

It's going to depend on what your lease says.  My lease requires utilities be connected in the tenant's name before occupying the unit.  If this were my unit, I would not give them the keys until utilities are connected, and during this time they would still be responsible for the monthly rent.

I minimize this issue by requiring all move-in fees paid up at lease signing, well before move-in.  I remind tenants of utility switching at the lease signing as well as in writing with a "move-in cost sheet."

I call the utilities provider the day before or day of the move-in, and confirm a connect order has been issued for another customer to take over that address on the specific date.  If that is not the case, I would proceed as stated in my first paragraph.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Melanie Thomas
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Antonio
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Antonio
Replied Oct 6 2022, 10:37
Not a biggie. I would not be concerned with it. She already had to go a weekend with no power, I am sure she wont let that happen ever again. Good luck and happy investing!