Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Jason Monroe
  • Investor
  • Oakland, CA
Votes |
Do you use affordablehousing.com in oakland california ?

Jason Monroe
  • Investor
  • Oakland, CA
Posted Oct 4 2022, 13:19

Do you use affordablehousing.com ? 

I have two properties in the zip code 94603. The places I have my holdings are a "C" area. The units show well once applicants see them but the area isn't searched much.

I have needed to use a flow send invitations to view my unit
where I login to affordablehousing.com and then select a filter and select "oakland" and then select the appropriate bedroom count and people that I have never contacted. Then I have to send messages one by one to people that meet the filter criteria as the "bulk" never worked for me. 

I was curious to know for those other people who might have holdings in Oakland where your highest and best tenant is a voucher tenant how do you advertise to those people if the rental units aren't in highly desirable areas? 

User Stats

Votes
Osazee Edebiri
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Oct 9 2022, 09:07
Quote from @Jason Monroe:

Do you use affordablehousing.com ? 

I have two properties in the zip code 94603. The places I have my holdings are a "C" area. The units show well once applicants see them but the area isn't searched much.

I have needed to use a flow send invitations to view my unit
where I login to affordablehousing.com and then select a filter and select "oakland" and then select the appropriate bedroom count and people that I have never contacted. Then I have to send messages one by one to people that meet the filter criteria as the "bulk" never worked for me. 

I was curious to know for those other people who might have holdings in Oakland where your highest and best tenant is a voucher tenant how do you advertise to those people if the rental units aren't in highly desirable areas? 

I think it comes down to pricing. They will find it on their own if it is priced right per the area you are in.

If you’re targeting section 8 in Oakland a thing I have noticed is that everyone once the best looking units. You may not be able to get the max, because people with the vouchers will search for the best units. 
The David Greene Team Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jason Monroe
  • Investor
  • Oakland, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Oakland, CA
Replied Oct 10 2022, 04:49

maybe you don't understand 

Oakland housing so far as I know. Oakland California doesn't maintain an official list of units. 

instead they push people to affordablehousing.com I have units that are nice but like I said in the post the area they are located in isn't the nicest. 

because of this I have to do more active marketing for the units. 

I am trying to finish other people who might have a similar situation who advertise on affordablehousing.com to see what their experience is. 

BiggerPockets logo
Meet Investor-Friendly Agents
|
BiggerPockets
Network with top investor-friendly agents who can help you find, analyze, and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Osazee Edebiri
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Oct 19 2022, 18:42
Quote from @Jason Monroe:

maybe you don't understand 

Oakland housing so far as I know. Oakland California doesn't maintain an official list of units. 

instead they push people to affordablehousing.com I have units that are nice but like I said in the post the area they are located in isn't the nicest. 

because of this I have to do more active marketing for the units. 

I am trying to finish other people who might have a similar situation who advertise on affordablehousing.com to see what their experience is. 

If your units are nice and the pictures show well, the renters will come unless you’re over priced for the area.

I would definitely use more rental sites than just affordablehousing.com, but even if that was the only one you used that could be potentially ok and yes I have used it before. 

A person with a voucher is going go for the best area first then how nice the unit is. Many people know there limits are better than what a lot of owners are getting in rent for a specific size unit. Sometimes the section 8 tenants can come across as more entitled than non-voucher holders. 

If you’re not getting many inquiries it is likely the price.

The David Greene Team Logo