Benjamin Sulka#3 House Hacking Contributor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
Best Cleveland Markets for Cash Flow?

• Cleveland, OH
Posted Oct 7 2022, 20:57

For those based in Cleveland. 

Which markets do you think are the most promising and which areas look the best for cash flow investing? 

I am trying to narrow my search down to maybe 3 promising markets and look within those for a multi-family deal. I want to spend my time scoping out areas in great detail. 

Thank you! I really appreciate any insight. 

Ben Sulka, aspiring real estate investor 

User Stats

Votes
Shane Kelly
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Oct 8 2022, 07:09

I'll keep it short and sweet. Multifamily inventory is low, and great deals are scarce. If I had to recommend 3 markets where to look though, it would be: 1.) Old Brooklyn 2.) cheaper properties in Cleveland Heights/Shaker Heights 3.) specific parts of the West Eighties/Cudell/West Boulevard.

User Stats

Votes
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Oct 10 2022, 12:20
Quote from @Shane Kelly:

I'll keep it short and sweet. Multifamily inventory is low, and great deals are scarce. If I had to recommend 3 markets where to look though, it would be: 1.) Old Brooklyn 2.) cheaper properties in Cleveland Heights/Shaker Heights 3.) specific parts of the West Eighties/Cudell/West Boulevard.

Thank you for the response, Shane! I will check these markets out. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Duna
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Oct 11 2022, 15:23

Hi Ben - @Shane Kelly pointed out some great areas to scope out.

One thing to consider- You had mentioned in the forums previously that you had the goal of house hacking. If that is the case then you could even consider getting into a more premium neighborhood like Lakewood. If you buy a duplex using FHA financing then you only need 3.5% down and the rents are skyrocketing in Lakewood. Your cash on cash still ends up being amazing and you are living in a more desirable neighborhood with better tenants and a higher chance for appreciation as well.

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Drury
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Replied Oct 11 2022, 15:25

@Benjamin Sulka
Detroit shore way, Cudell, Edge water, and West eighties. 

Reafco- Logo

User Stats

Votes
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Oct 11 2022, 15:50
Quote from @Andrew Duna:

One thing to consider- You had mentioned in the forums previously that you had the goal of house hacking. If that is the case then you could even consider getting into a more premium neighborhood like Lakewood. If you buy a duplex using FHA financing then you only need 3.5% down and the rents are skyrocketing in Lakewood. Your cash on cash still ends up being amazing and you are living in a more desirable neighborhood with better tenants and a higher chance for appreciation as well.

Thanks so much for the insight, Andrew! That is a great point. 

User Stats

Votes
Nick Shri
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Oct 16 2022, 14:49

Quote from @Benjamin Sulka:
Quote from @Andrew Duna:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

this link should be helpful.

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Salman
  • Lender
  • Ohio
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Ohio
Replied Oct 17 2022, 11:11

Hey, Ben, being from Cleveland I feel comfortable with some areas.  I'll shoot you a message and we can compare what we see!

User Stats

Votes
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Oct 17 2022, 15:16
Quote from @Nick Shri:

Quote from @Andrew Duna:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

this link should be helpful.

Thanks very much! 

User Stats

Votes
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Oct 17 2022, 15:16
Quote from @Nicholas Salman:

Hey, Ben, being from Cleveland I feel comfortable with some areas.  I'll shoot you a message and we can compare what we see!

Thank you, Nick!!

User Stats

Votes
Henry Lazerow
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Nov 3 2022, 15:59

What are rents in Lakewood. It seems two units go $240-280s unless they rent $1400 a unit can't see it cashflowing at all 25 down?

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Duna
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Nov 10 2022, 11:31
Quote from @Henry Lazerow:

What are rents in Lakewood. It seems two units go $240-280s unless they rent $1400 a unit can't see it cashflowing at all 25 down?

Hi Henry - depending on the cosmetic condition of the unit- in Lakewood it could easily rent for $1400+... One investor I know just rented their newly renovated 2 bed 1 bath downstairs unit for $2150 a month. 

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#1 Classifieds Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Nov 11 2022, 07:17

Which markets do you think are the most promising and which areas look the best for cash flow investing? 

I am trying to narrow my search down to maybe 3 promising markets and look within those for a multi-family deal. I want to spend my time scoping out areas in great detail. 

I am liking far west outside of Cleveland lately. New Cleveland Mayor Justin Bibb has been getting on my nerves, holding anti landlord press conferences, one at one of my houses.....Just obnoxious anti landlord rhetoric with no meat to it, but an annoyance.

User Stats

Votes
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Nov 13 2022, 15:02
Quote from @James Wise:

I am liking far west outside of Cleveland lately. New Cleveland Mayor Justin Bibb has been getting on my nerves, holding anti landlord press conferences, one at one of my houses.....Just obnoxious anti landlord rhetoric with no meat to it, but an annoyance.

Thanks for your reply, James! By the way, I love your blog post on the best markets in the Cleveland area. Thanks for all you do on BP! 

User Stats

Votes
James Wise#1 Classifieds Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Nov 14 2022, 07:01
Quote from @James Wise:

Thanks for your reply, James! By the way, I love your blog post on the best markets in the Cleveland area. Thanks for all you do on BP! 

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#3 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Nov 15 2022, 08:09

All the burbs and even parts of East Cleveland, 10% net caps or more are to be had for cash buyers, even higher when you refi 

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Nov 15 2022, 08:11

I would not touch lakewood, much to high pricing .. I stick with all the Heights, Euclid and parts of east Cleveland we are trying to buy as much as we can, but simply no inventory 

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Nov 15 2022, 08:11
Quote from @Patrick Drury:

@Benjamin Sulka
Detroit shore way, Cudell, Edge water, and West eighties. 

But no inventory, 

User Stats

Votes
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Nov 16 2022, 13:23
Quote from @Bob Stevens:

I would not touch lakewood, much to high pricing .. I stick with all the Heights, Euclid and parts of east Cleveland we are trying to buy as much as we can, but simply no inventory 

Thanks so much for the comment, Bob. I am primarily looking in Shaker Heights & University Heights right now. Just getting some experience with analyzing deals. I won't actually be able to purchase a property until I graduate in 6+ months. I considered Lakewood but quickly realized how expensive properties were. 

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Nov 16 2022, 13:26
Quote from @Bob Stevens:

Thanks so much for the comment, Bob. I am primarily looking in Shaker Heights & University Heights right now. Just getting some experience with analyzing deals. I won't actually be able to purchase a property until I graduate in 6+ months. I considered Lakewood but quickly realized how expensive properties were. 

Sorry I should have been clearer, the Heights but NOT SH or UH, you cannot make money there, Pricing and taxes are too high. You do not need to research. ALL you need to do is connect with someone doing deals there and allow them to handle all for you. Oh, and you need to be all cash

Good luck to you 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Orlando
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Nov 16 2022, 18:48

@Benjamin Sulka Really all comes down to the numbers at the end of the day. Yeah areas like Lakewood are expensive in general, but maybe you find a sweet off market deal that allows the numbers to work! I would define what kind of cash on cash returns you are looking for and then decide on an area from there to really focus on. That makes it pretty easy to narrow it down quickly and then from there it's analyzing deals and being patient. I invest for cash flow in Cleveland as well and that's kinda where I started.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Nov 18 2022, 08:50

All the Hights except for CH, UH, and SH, taxes are too high. West side  Lee Harvard, Euclid, and parts of East Cleveland, YES East Cleveland. For those that say Bob is crazy, simply are not informed. We are trying to buy as much as we can in certain areas, but nothing aval. I am working on a 70 unit there, HOPE  I get it 

BTW, sitting on the internet is not going to accomplish anything. You must connect with those doing deals and allow them to handle it all for you 

User Stats

Votes
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Nov 25 2022, 11:40
Quote from @Michael Orlando:

@Benjamin Sulka Really all comes down to the numbers at the end of the day. Yeah areas like Lakewood are expensive in general, but maybe you find a sweet off market deal that allows the numbers to work! I would define what kind of cash on cash returns you are looking for and then decide on an area from there to really focus on. That makes it pretty easy to narrow it down quickly and then from there it's analyzing deals and being patient. I invest for cash flow in Cleveland as well and that's kinda where I started.

Thanks for the info, Michael! 

User Stats

Votes
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Nov 25 2022, 11:43
Quote from @Bob Stevens:

All the Hights except for CH, UH, and SH, taxes are too high. West side  Lee Harvard, Euclid, and parts of East Cleveland, YES East Cleveland. For those that say Bob is crazy, simply are not informed. We are trying to buy as much as we can in certain areas, but nothing aval. I am working on a 70 unit there, HOPE  I get it 

BTW, sitting on the internet is not going to accomplish anything. You must connect with those doing deals and allow them to handle it all for you 

Do you have any recommendations for finding people and connecting people who are doing deals in those particular areas? Like joining a local real estate investing group or something? In terms of the heights, the primary markets I am looking at are CH, UH, and SH actually. Just trying to get my feet wet in real estate investing by doing a house-hack.  

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Nov 27 2022, 05:46
Quote from @Bob Stevens:

Do you have any recommendations for finding people and connecting people who are doing deals in those particular areas? Like joining a local real estate investing group or something? In terms of the heights, the primary markets I am looking at are CH, UH, and SH actually. Just trying to get my feet wet in real estate investing by doing a house-hack.  

Just connect with those doing deals in the Cleveland markets, No you do not want UH or SH, taxes and  price points are too high, As is CH but you maybe ( I can your chances are not Lickley) can get a better price point. All you need is a team there taking care of everything

All the best   

User Stats

Votes
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Nov 28 2022, 17:34
Quote from @Bob Stevens:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:

Just connect with those doing deals in the Cleveland markets, No you do not want UH or SH, taxes and  price points are too high, As is CH but you maybe ( I can your chances are not Lickley) can get a better price point. All you need is a team there taking care of everything

All the best   

Thank you very much for the advice.