General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Nazanin Boojar
Votes |
Eviction Time Frame for a Landlord

Nazanin Boojar
Posted Oct 18 2022, 06:55

I was wondering how long it would take for a tenant to leave my property if I sent him a notice to do so. In checking the legal rules for landlords in different states, I realized that the rules vary widely. I'm not sure how much this time frame matters to a rental investor. Do you think this should be taken into account when investing in a rental property in another state?

User Stats

Votes
Nate Sanow
Pro Member
  • I​nvestor & Agent
  • Tulsa, OK
Votes |
Pro Member
  • I​nvestor & Agent
  • Tulsa, OK
Replied Oct 18 2022, 07:21

In my state we can post a notice on day 10 of unpaid rent, essentially notifying the tenant that the process will begin the following month, so even as fast and as landlord friendly that is here the entire process can still be 2-3 months.  I’d imagine your state has some similar steps or flow to it, and doing the first step as fast as possible is paramount if you plan to go through with that.  

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Sobilo
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Replied Oct 18 2022, 07:27

@Nazanin Boojar, I would factor the time I don't get paid by a tenant I'm evicting into my "vacancy" estimate and budget accordingly.

So, if I was managing a D class property where I might expect MORE evictions in a state that is tenant friendly, I might budget higher versus a B class property in a landlord friendly state.

In my state (PA), the time to get a tenant out is probably 6-12 weeks depending on if they appeal the initial decision and if they stay until forcibly removed by a constable. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Oct 19 2022, 06:06
Quote from @Nazanin Boojar:

I was wondering how long it would take for a tenant to leave my property if I sent him a notice to do so. In checking the legal rules for landlords in different states, I realized that the rules vary widely. I'm not sure how much this time frame matters to a rental investor. Do you think this should be taken into account when investing in a rental property in another state?

You should consider the laws when deciding which state to invest in. I would never recommend someone invest in California unless they're very experienced because it is the most heavily regulated, heavily litigated place in the country, maybe the world. Likewise, there's an enormous difference between New Jersey and Ohio.

Most states require 30 days notice. Some require 60 or more. Some (like California) don't allow you to terminate unless you have a few specific reasons, and even then it can be difficult.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo