Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Amanda Thompson
  • Property Manager
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
I'm seeing a huge drop in rental inquiries... are you?

Amanda Thompson
  • Property Manager
  • Boise, ID
Posted Oct 26 2022, 09:42

Hi all! This fall has been dead! I don't know what to do... we have 6 brand new, gorgeous townhomes we just built. They are in a private community, with grass, a gazebo, stainless steel appliances... needless to say, they're in a desirable location and anybody would love them. WHY have I only received ONE application in the past month?? I'm curious about other markets, but if you're from Boise let me know what is going on. I lowered the rent dramatically compared to our other rentals, and am running a move-in special for $500 off. I posted on Craigslist, Facebook, and purchased an ad package from apartments.com. We even made flyers! The one application I received was from someone totally unqualified, too! We have some other rentals available at this time, but I'm really worried about these new ones. 

User Stats

Votes
Greg M.#4 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Greg M.#4 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Oct 26 2022, 12:18

I'm nowhere near the Boise market, but it's been on my radar.

If what've I've been reading is accurate, Boise is going to be an interesting case study over the next couple years. It is supposedly the most overpriced area in the US based on historical patterns. It sounds like the city is seeing an outflow of residents - mainly those recently arrived residents. Supposedly 3/5 homes on the market have reduced their price since listing and it was the first major market to see a price drop. 

My guess is that all that California cash that was making your market go crazy is drying up. Rents went up super fast as non-locals outbid locals for homes and forced people into renting. Maybe this is the start of the correction as the non-locals flee?

User Stats

Votes
Tim G.
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Oct 26 2022, 12:26

How do they compare in price to other rentals in the area? As they say, price fixes everything, if they are comparable priced to lower quality rentals I'm sure folks will start to apply. 

Not only has the selling side of the market slowed down, but renters are also over massive rate increases and unless forced are no longer willing to participate in this bubble.

Side note: Are they listed for rent on Zillow? 

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Plante
  • Deland, FL
Votes |
  • Deland, FL
Replied Oct 26 2022, 12:31

How close are your other rentals?

User Stats

Votes
Greg R.
  • Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Oct 26 2022, 12:34

The consumer is fed up w/ the astronomical prices. They are using their strongest and best strategy to fight back - don't buy. A lot of people have shifted to multi-generational living arrangements to fight record high rent prices. 2 (or more) families sharing a home, kids moving back in with parents, etc.  

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Copeland
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa Bay/St Petersburg, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa Bay/St Petersburg, FL
Replied Oct 26 2022, 13:03

How long have you been managing in your market?

I'm in Florida, so it's certainly not weather-driven, but we always see a noticeable seasonal slowdown in the Fall. Less people are moving during back-to-school season, and then all of a sudden the holidays are looming. 

I'm not saying the other factors mentioned in this thread aren't a factor, just that some seasonal variation is normal. 

• Broker FL (#BK3326487)

Copeland Morgan LLC Logo

User Stats

Votes
Melanie Thomas
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Antonio
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Antonio
Replied Oct 26 2022, 13:38
Quote from @Jeff Copeland:

I'm in Florida, so it's certainly not weather-driven, but we always see a noticeable seasonal slowdown in the Fall. Less people are moving during back-to-school season, and then all of a sudden the holidays are looming. 

I'm not saying the other factors mentioned in this thread aren't a factor, just that some seasonal variation is normal. 

I was coming to say just this. We experience a slow down the closer we get to the holidays every year. Less people wanting to move, travel, hosting family gatherings etc.. Happy investing, good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Mike Dymski#3 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
Mike Dymski#3 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Replied Oct 26 2022, 15:11

People are consolidating households.  Nonhomeowners are getting hit hard by inflation.  Many areas have rent, fuel, utilities, and food costs that are up a lot more than 8% CPI.  18% of US adults in the September UBS survey said they lived rent free with other people during the last six months, up from 11% at the same time one year ago. That was the highest share of adults living rent free with friends and family since UBS began asking the question in 2015.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Davidson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boise, ID
Replied Oct 26 2022, 15:28

@Amanda Thompson one application in a month?!? sounds like your advertisement is off. I didn't see Zillow and I think craigslist died. I've never had good luck from apartments.com but occasionally get a hit, but what is your inquiry rate? Applications are one thing but if you aren't getting anyone reaching out you either have priced too high or the wrong people / no body seeing your ad.

The winter is always slower as people don't like to move in the winter/ holiday season. 

User Stats

Votes
Amanda Thompson
  • Property Manager
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Boise, ID
Replied Oct 26 2022, 16:12
They are priced at $2195 for a 3 bedroom/3 bath with 2-car garage, and $1795 for a 2 bedroom/2 bath. This price is very comparable and even on the low end, for the quality of the rentals. Our other newer rentals, for example, are all renting for $2400/mo (3 bedroom w garage) and $2200/mo (3 bedroom, no garage)... and there are 12 of those in the same neighborhood! 

I've never used Zillow, but I will throw up a listing there tonight! Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote from @Tim G.:

How do they compare in price to other rentals in the area? As they say, price fixes everything, if they are comparable priced to lower quality rentals I'm sure folks will start to apply. 

Not only has the selling side of the market slowed down, but renters are also over massive rate increases and unless forced are no longer willing to participate in this bubble.

Side note: Are they listed for rent on Zillow? 

User Stats

Votes
Amanda Thompson
  • Property Manager
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Boise, ID
Replied Oct 26 2022, 16:14
Right, and we do have quite the seasonal swing (100 degrees in the summer, 20 degrees in the winter). I know that this is the time of year renting slows down, but I'm surprised we've had almost NOBODY follow up with these! Florida sounds nice right about now. :)

Quote from @Jeff Copeland:

User Stats

Votes
Amanda Thompson
  • Property Manager
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Boise, ID
Replied Oct 26 2022, 16:17
I've always used apts.com and never had a problem, which is why I branched out. Craigslist was a last-ditch effort, haha! I have never used Zillow though! I will put a listing on there tonight! I have had way fewer inquiries than normal, as well! And very few people following up after the initial inquiry. I responded to someone else with the details, but the rents are on the low end for our area... and I'm really frustrated about the whole ad situation, but that's another story. lol

Quote from @Chris Davidson:

@Amanda Thompson one application in a month?!? sounds like your advertisement is off. I didn't see Zillow and I think craigslist died. I've never had good luck from apartments.com but occasionally get a hit, but what is your inquiry rate? Applications are one thing but if you aren't getting anyone reaching out you either have priced too high or the wrong people / no body seeing your ad.

The winter is always slower as people don't like to move in the winter/ holiday season. 

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Oct 26 2022, 17:34

Where are you advertising? You didnt mention Zillow where like 90% of renters are looking.

District Invest Group Logo
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Jack Seiden
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington DC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington DC
Replied Oct 26 2022, 17:47
Quote from @Amanda Thompson:

Hi all! This fall has been dead! I don't know what to do... we have 6 brand new, gorgeous townhomes we just built. They are in a private community, with grass, a gazebo, stainless steel appliances... needless to say, they're in a desirable location and anybody would love them. WHY have I only received ONE application in the past month?? I'm curious about other markets, but if you're from Boise let me know what is going on. I lowered the rent dramatically compared to our other rentals, and am running a move-in special for $500 off. I posted on Craigslist, Facebook, and purchased an ad package from apartments.com. We even made flyers! The one application I received was from someone totally unqualified, too! We have some other rentals available at this time, but I'm really worried about these new ones. 

Three words, reverse household formation.

• Real Estate Agent Virginia (#0225260957), District of Columbia (#Sp40001090), and Maryland (#667710)

• Samson Properties
Samson Properties  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Oct 27 2022, 04:40

I would like to know how long you've been managing rentals. Your profile was activated in 2021, so I'm guessing you're fairly new. The last two years have been unusual. The last 12 years have been pretty strong for the rental market with increasing rates every year and some years with double-digit increases. That doesn't last forever.

We're seeing sales slow and prices drop. I suspect we'll see a similar, albeit smaller, decrease in rental activity. It's the typical slow-down for fall (school starts, weather cools, holidays, etc.) and we'll see an even slower market as people struggle with increasing prices due to a tanking economy. The cost of living has increased 9.1% according to the Fed, but they use an antiquated method of analysis so the true increase is probably closer to 20% or more. People are going to start feeling it and tightening their belt.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jared Hottle
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cedar falls IA Waterloo, IA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cedar falls IA Waterloo, IA
Replied Oct 27 2022, 04:48

Even with the last two years being hotter than ever it is still seasonal at least here in Iowa. I always see a drop off of demand from September till February. That is why I try to get leases to end in the spring. Cannot really time the BRRR finishing up by try to get it as close to a spring/summer lease up as possible. Not sure if Boise would be as seasonal but something to think about.

User Stats

Votes
Harrison George
  • Lender
  • Meridian, ID
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Meridian, ID
Replied Oct 27 2022, 14:47

Im out here in the Boise Market, with several properties, and I feel like i got bombarded when i put my home on the market. 

User Stats

Votes
Amanda Thompson
  • Property Manager
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Boise, ID
Replied Oct 28 2022, 14:13
Quote from @Harrison George:

Im out here in the Boise Market, with several properties, and I feel like i got bombarded when i put my home on the market. 

Bombarded, really? Wow, that's not what I'm hearing from realtor friends about our market right now! It was up until last spring, but has been dying down over the summer/fall. You got lucky! Congrats!

User Stats

Votes
Harrison George
  • Lender
  • Meridian, ID
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Meridian, ID
Replied Oct 28 2022, 14:18

Bombarded, really? Wow, that's not what I'm hearing from realtor friends about our market right now! It was up until last spring, but has been dying down over the summer/fall. You got lucky! Congrats!

I think its because property is near the Village in Meridian! I think since rates are going up, you will see more people pushed out of the "buying" pool and pushed into the "renter" pool! Have you looked into the medium term rentals? 

User Stats

Votes
Karl B.
  • Erie, PA
Votes |
  • Erie, PA
Replied Oct 28 2022, 14:25

With the broader market slowing down and the US being in a downturn, I think demand for A-class properties will go down in some markets.

I deal in mostly C-class properties and in my market I have not seen a slow-down. 

User Stats

Votes
Amanda Thompson
  • Property Manager
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Boise, ID
Replied Oct 29 2022, 16:13

We are now offering shorter terms! Typically we like 12 months, but I don't want to do 12 months and have everyone's lease end in November. haha I'll do a 6 month intro, and then a 12 month renewal I think.

I think its because property is near the Village in Meridian! I think since rates are going up, you will see more people pushed out of the "buying" pool and pushed into the "renter" pool! Have you looked into the medium term rentals? 

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Oct 29 2022, 20:32

Is it priced correctly? Zillow is a good way to attract tenants