General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Brent Hasse
Votes |
DIY Landlord and Entrepreneur in the Proptech Space

Brent Hasse
Posted Nov 2 2022, 09:55

Just wanted to introduce myself, I've got 4 door in Chicago (Lakeview and Wrigley) and grew up in the western suburbs of Chicago.  I'm looking forward to being more involved in the forums here and helping anyway I can.

Great to meet everyone!

User Stats

Votes
Michael K.
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Nov 2 2022, 14:03

Hey Brent, welcome! How'd you get into your first deal? What do the numbers look like?

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Nov 3 2022, 04:44
Quote from @Brent Hasse:

Welcome to the BiggerPockets forums!

Go to NETWORK at the top of your screen and you can search for other investors and investment groups in your area. You can also check meetup.com or search facebook for real estate investment groups, clubs, or meetings in your area.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
John Warren
  • Real Estate Broker
  • 1658 N. Milwaukee Ave Ste B PMP 18969 Chicago, IL 60647
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • 1658 N. Milwaukee Ave Ste B PMP 18969 Chicago, IL 60647
Replied Nov 3 2022, 07:32

@Brent Hasse welcome to the forums! You are in the right spot to network and connect!

• Real Estate Agent IL (#475.166619)

Forte Properties, Inc Logo

User Stats

Votes
Brent Hasse
Votes |
Replied Nov 3 2022, 07:53
Quote from @Michael K.:

Hey Brent, welcome! How'd you get into your first deal? What do the numbers look like?

@Michael K. Like many of you, I rented right out of school and quickly did the math of how much my landlord was making so I knew I had to get into the business. I was lucky enough to buy a garden unit in Wrigleyville as a short sale in 2011, it took 11 months to close but got a great deal. Then we started looking for a 3 Flat with a good Owners Unit, took 2 years to find the right one and got it off market through my network. So renting the bottom 2 units out and living in the 3rd. House Hacking 101

User Stats

Votes
Brent Hasse
Votes |
Replied Nov 3 2022, 07:54
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
Quote from @Brent Hasse:

Welcome to the BiggerPockets forums!

Go to NETWORK at the top of your screen and you can search for other investors and investment groups in your area. You can also check meetup.com or search facebook for real estate investment groups, clubs, or meetings in your area.

Thanks @Nathan Gesner will do

User Stats

Votes
Brent Hasse
Votes |
Replied Nov 3 2022, 07:54
Quote from @John Warren:

@Brent Hasse welcome to the forums! You are in the right spot to network and connect!

Thanks @John Warren

User Stats

Votes
Michael K.
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Nov 3 2022, 08:02
Quote from @Brent Hasse:
Quote from @Michael K.:

@Michael K. Like many of you, I rented right out of school and quickly did the math of how much my landlord was making so I knew I had to get into the business. I was lucky enough to buy a garden unit in Wrigleyville as a short sale in 2011, it took 11 months to close but got a great deal. Then we started looking for a 3 Flat with a good Owners Unit, took 2 years to find the right one and got it off market through my network. So renting the bottom 2 units out and living in the 3rd. House Hacking 101

Sounds similar to what I experienced, had been living abroad in a country where rent payments are a fraction of what they are here. Moved back home and experienced sticker shock, then immediately started looking for a way to get around paying rent. 

You mentioned proptech, what kind of work do you do?

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Nov 3 2022, 12:25

Checkout Meetup.com also for local events

User Stats

Votes
Brent Hasse
Votes |
Replied Nov 3 2022, 12:46
Quote from @Michael K.:
Quote from @Brent Hasse:
Quote from @Michael K.:

Sounds similar to what I experienced, had been living abroad in a country where rent payments are a fraction of what they are here. Moved back home and experienced sticker shock, then immediately started looking for a way to get around paying rent. 

You mentioned proptech, what kind of work do you do?

We built a tech-enabled property maintenance and repair platform to help flatten the cost curve of owning real estate. Think of it as an oil change but for your house, it's called Flat.  Feel free to DM me and I can share more.