General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Durai K.
Votes |
Tenant breaks lease 3 months ahead and not paying the nov ren

Durai K.
Posted Nov 3 2022, 00:08

I have an inherited tenant in my multi-family in Mountain view, CA  who gave 30 day notice to move out on 11/30 to property management and said they are not going to pay the Nov rent since security deposit is already paid. They also called PG&E and disconnected Gas and electric (tenant is responsible for these utilities as pr the lease) effective 10/31 which made the service transfer to my name now, Any suggestions on how to handle this break of lease, not paying the rent and disconnection of utilities?

User Stats

Votes
Ian Murray
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Nov 3 2022, 02:41

Is the security deposit enough to cover the November's rent?  I am explicit that the security deposit is not last month's rent in our leases, so make sure that your lease says the same thing.  

If the tenant has vacated the property, shifted the utilities to you, and turned in all keys, you may be able to put new tenants in as soon as the property is ready.  If the tenant is still in the unit, you should be able to go after them for both the rent and the utility costs.  You'll definitely want to speak to your attorney about that, though, as I am not one.

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Nov 3 2022, 02:52

The security deposit can't be used for rent. Give them notice and start the eviction process and tell them they need to get gas and electricity back in their name immediately.  Call both companies and tell them the tenants are still living there.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Nov 3 2022, 04:07
Quote from @Durai K.:

I have an inherited tenant in my multi-family in Mountain view, CA  who gave 30 day notice to move out on 11/30 to property management and said they are not going to pay the Nov rent since security deposit is already paid. They also called PG&E and disconnected Gas and electric (tenant is responsible for these utilities as pr the lease) effective 10/31 which made the service transfer to my name now, Any suggestions on how to handle this break of lease, not paying the rent and disconnection of utilities?

Shut the utilities off.

You normally can't shut off utilities because it's considered a self-help eviction, which is illegal. However, the tenant was responsible for utilities and they shut down their account, so it's technically them shutting the utilities off. I would close your account and have the meters pulled. It will cost you some money, but that will motivate them to pay to turn the utilities back on or they'll move out.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Nov 3 2022, 05:50

@Durai K. what does your PMC advise?

Not that it will change the tenant's behavior, but we wold put it on the record with the tenant that they will be held responsible for rent and utilities, in accordance with the lease contract, through the end of the lease - or until the property is rented out again, whichever comes first.

Hopefully, your PMC has their drivers licenses, work & banking info, so they can turn the data over to a collection attorney to pursue garnishment.

FYI - most PMC's do NOT handle collections, so don't expect yours to handle this.

User Stats

Votes
Durai K.
Votes |
Replied Nov 3 2022, 07:11
Quote from @Ian Murray:

Is the security deposit enough to cover the November's rent?  I am explicit that the security deposit is not last month's rent in our leases, so make sure that your lease says the same thing.  

If the tenant has vacated the property, shifted the utilities to you, and turned in all keys, you may be able to put new tenants in as soon as the property is ready.  If the tenant is still in the unit, you should be able to go after them for both the rent and the utility costs.  You'll definitely want to speak to your attorney about that, though, as I am not one.

Yes.deposit is one mont rent and lease explicitly states in BOLD that it cannot be used for last month's rent.
Tenant still stays at the property.

User Stats

Votes
Durai K.
Votes |
Replied Nov 3 2022, 07:14
Quote from @Theresa Harris:

The security deposit can't be used for rent. Give them notice and start the eviction process and tell them they need to get gas and electricity back in their name immediately.  Call both companies and tell them the tenants are still living there.

PG&E does not really care about it as long as they have someone responsible financially for the account..I did inform them though but they want the tenant to call and reactivate..

User Stats

Votes
Durai K.
Votes |
Replied Nov 3 2022, 07:24
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
Quote from @Durai K.:

Shut the utilities off.

You normally can't shut off utilities because it's considered a self-help eviction, which is illegal. However, the tenant was responsible for utilities and they shut down their account, so it's technically them shutting the utilities off. I would close your account and have the meters pulled. It will cost you some money, but that will motivate them to pay to turn the utilities back on or they'll move out.

Attorneys have the same opinion but one they suggest it is up to me to shut off or leave it on and claim..

User Stats

Votes
Durai K.
Votes |
Replied Nov 3 2022, 07:26
Quote from @Drew Sygit:

@Durai K. what does your PMC advise?

Not that it will change the tenant's behavior, but we wold put it on the record with the tenant that they will be held responsible for rent and utilities, in accordance with the lease contract, through the end of the lease - or until the property is rented out again, whichever comes first.

Hopefully, your PMC has their drivers licenses, work & banking info, so they can turn the data over to a collection attorney to pursue garnishment.

FYI - most PMC's do NOT handle collections, so don't expect yours to handle this.

Yes. we are going to go after this tenant no matter what for this bad behavior. eviction notice and further process.

User Stats

Votes
Durai K.
Votes |
Replied Nov 3 2022, 07:30

Thanks all. what is the scenario if tenant moves out after 3 day notice to cure or quit notice?  

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Nov 3 2022, 16:52
Quote from @Durai K.:

Thanks all. what is the scenario if tenant moves out after 3 day notice to cure or quit notice?  

If the Tenant pays, you stop the eviction process and proceed with their lease.

If the Tenant moves out, you consider it a termination. Take control of the property, turn it around, charge the tenant for cleaning, repairs, and unpaid charges, and find the next renter.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Nov 3 2022, 16:53
Quote from @Durai K.:

Be thankful that they are out, do the move out inspection and get the place rented.  

User Stats

Votes
Ash S.
Votes |

Tenants cannot have an excuse that I am not paying rent for last month or not paying for repair and deduct it from security deposit(who knows what all other damages they have?). Security deposit is part of the agreement, it binds them. 

Evict them so that eviction stays in their rental history for at least 7 years.

They need to keep utilities till the lease end.

User Stats

Votes
Durai K.
Votes |
Replied Nov 9 2022, 20:06

This particular tenant said PMC that they are breaking lease because of PM negligence. All the maintenance cases are handled properly though. It is just that they are find an excuse to move out early. Very nice people...:-) They gave notice to move end of November. PMC is going to give 3 day notice to quit for their illegal pet, utility disconnection and non-payment of rent. But, I am not sure how useful it is since they are moving out anyways. Any views?  Will these notices be useful when we sue her for all the damages including break of lease?

User Stats

Votes
Nic S.
Pro Member
  • Danville. CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Danville. CA
Replied Nov 9 2022, 21:11

@Durai K. Sue them for the remaining monies owed per the lease. CA is a tenant friendly place but sounds like you have a case.

You can also try to negotiate with them. Ask they pay for X months and you won’t post eviction and take them to court.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 9 2022, 21:22

Hire a property manager, don't manage these things on your own. Best you can do is take them to small claims court and evict them 

User Stats

Votes
Durai K.
Votes |
Replied Nov 9 2022, 21:58

@Eliott Elias

I do a have a PMC.
@Nic S.
Situation here is negotiation failed and tenant vacates end of November. 

We are planning to sue in court, get judgements for damages and report to credit bureaus so they see the consequences for the behavior. There are multiple violations and we are sure that we will win the case. There should be an easy way in law to report these kind of 'bad' and 'senseless' tenants. Very hard to do business in CA. :-(
If the tenant is seeing this message  from google search :  My dear honest tenant,  "be truthful to yourself. What you give always comes back"

User Stats

Votes
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 9 2022, 22:01
Quote from @Durai K.:

@Eliott Elias

I do a have a PMC.
@Nic S.
Situation here is negotiation failed and tenant vacates end of November. 

We are planning to sue in court, get judgements for damages and report to credit bureaus so they see the consequences for the behavior. There are multiple violations and we are sure that we will win the case. There should be an easy way in law to report these kind of 'bad' and 'senseless' tenants. Very hard to do business in CA. :-(
If the tenant is seeing this message  from google search :  My dear honest tenant,  "be truthful to yourself. What you give always comes back"

They need to handle this 

User Stats

Votes
JD Martin
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
Votes |
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
ModeratorReplied Nov 9 2022, 22:56
Quote from @Theresa Harris:
Quote from @Durai K.:

Be thankful that they are out, do the move out inspection and get the place rented.  

In California, this was my thought exactly. I would have the utilities disconnected, however, since they are in your name. No point in paying for the tenant's utilities, and take out whatever you're charged from the deposit. I (assume) that in California they'll need a lease in order to turn them back on, which I wouldn't give them, so that should speed up their own process of leaving.

Honestly, though, California is not an easy state to get someone gone so you really should be thankful that they are leaving (in theory) on their own. Get them gone as fast as you can and move on. 

PS: If you already have a property manager, you need a new one. No idea why you are dealing with this instead of your PM. That's what they are being paid for.