General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Allan Boehm
Votes |
Renting out home and backyard ADU as 2 units

Allan Boehm
Posted Nov 7 2022, 08:24

Just wondering if anyone has experience on renting out an entire home (3bed 2bath) and also a detached garage style apartment behind existing house. Our property is zoned for 2 houses so currently researching if it would be best to build a garage DADU or full house (hpr the property) for two separate rentable units on one property. 

Or if renting a home that includes ADU for more per month would be the way to go.

User Stats

Votes
Bjorn Ahlblad
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Replied Nov 7 2022, 08:41

@Allan Boehm welcome to BP! Do what gets you the best bang for the buck and what zoning allows. I am currently living in 'two' of my rentals. It is a house and guest house which were rented out separately for a few years.  Now we use that as our primary residence. 

User Stats

Votes
Melanie Thomas
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Antonio
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Antonio
Replied Nov 7 2022, 08:55

Hi Allan, the utilities situation gets sticky when not metered separate. Say you have one person in the studio and 3-4 in the main house. It gets sticky IMO. Then you have to worry about mail and parking. I would not recommend it. Happy investing! 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes