Steve Tse
Pro Member
Votes |
Is it normal to continuously get tenants to requests things

Steve Tse
Pro Member
Posted Nov 17 2022, 13:31

Hi Guys,

I am fairly new at this and was wondering, on average, how many times does your tenant asks for things to be replaced of fixed ? I've had a new tenant for the last 3 months and I keep getting requested to take care of many things such as an icemaker repair, a garage door rail repair, stove light bulb replacement, light switch repair and etc. Tenant lives in a fairly new SFH that has been thoroughly cleaned and everything broken repaired prior to tenant moving in.

What is your strategy to politely let the tenant know that this is not a luxury hotel or all inclusive resort ? How would you deal with this if you manage your own property vs having PM ?

Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Steve Tse
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Dec 8 2022, 12:05

@Galen Ikonomov, let me clarify my earlier statement, I don't believe the PM is a scam. I think the PM disclosed to the tenant that they should submit tickets when they see things broken in order to cover from any lawsuits. I think they want to do everything according to the law, but this sends a different signal to the tenant that they are living in a hotel where every broken item will be covered at landlord's expense. 

At least this is how I see things...

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 8 2022, 13:16

@Steve Tse

I understand and thank you for clarifying.

So If I go back to your initial call for help, it is that you have a needy tenant and how would we handle this ourselves vs PM.

With my first comment comment, I suggested exactly what to do, because it works for me and I save 10% from having a PM, which means more CF and I have built a relationship with a local person that I can trust to go at the property and show me what is wrong when a tenant complains. I pay him a one time nominal fee when he goes over.

If you are so set on having a PM, good luck to you brother and I really mean it ! :-) 

BiggerPockets logo
Meet Investor-Friendly Agents
|
BiggerPockets
Network with top investor-friendly agents who can help you find, analyze, and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 8 2022, 16:46

@Debbie C.

It's great the process for repair that you have outlined.  How do you deal with repair coordination if you choose to make the repairs?  For example, would you contact the tenants and let them know of the dates/times, check when they may be available to meet the repair person, etc.?  Would like to learn best practices if you can share.  

User Stats

Votes
Curtis Mears
  • Property Manager
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Dec 9 2022, 08:55

@Steve Tse

Are the requests justified? If the issues they brought up were actually issues, then they are justified to ask for repairs. If the issues are so minor that they should do them, the ntou may need to educate about what is your responsibility vs what is theirs.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Tse
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Dec 9 2022, 09:15

@Curtis Mears, in my opinion some items could have been tenant responsibility such as the ice maker, the stove lightbulb, the doorbell and  kitchen light switch. Other things like the garage door rail and the fan motor is landlords' responsibility.

I looked at tenant's rights handbook in the state of Texas and it says that the landlord is responsible for repairs related to health and safety of the tenant. Examples are sewage backups, roaches, rats, hot/cold water, faulty wiring, roof leaks, and, heat and AC. 

User Stats

Votes
Wale Lawal#5 Starting Out Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX
Replied Dec 9 2022, 11:18

@Steve Tse

Every landlord loves the tenant that does all the right things, and you only hear from when there is a legitimate issue. That said, property owners also must deal with a fair share of perpetual complainers. They continuously call, at all hours, and for everything, including unreasonable requests. How to Deal With Tenants Who Complain Constantly
  • Know Your Legal Obligations: Landlords are required to make certain repairs that are essential to the habitability or safety of the home. However, that does not mean you have to jump at every little request from tenants, knowing the difference will save time, money, and aggravation.
  • Remind Them of the Lease: A lease should spell out who is responsible for what when it comes to maintenance. Light bulb out? Does the HVAC filter need changing? This is the tenant’s responsibility, and you may need to remind them of such.

All the best!

User Stats

Votes
Henry T.
Pro Member
#4 Land & New Construction Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Land & New Construction Contributor
Replied Dec 12 2022, 13:56

Remove everything that can break.  Re- Evaluate the numbers, costs, time, , Raise the rent accordingly.

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Drew Sygit#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Jan 7 2023, 05:50

None of those sound unreasonable.

Your lease though, should have a clause that states tenant MAY be responsible for first $x of any and every repair.

Then you can choose when to enforce it.