• Des Plaines, IL
Votes |
Make Meetups Better

Katelin Eberhard
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Des Plaines, IL
Posted Nov 22 2022, 16:51

I am part of a local meetup and we are looking to make some changes!

What makes you love/hate your meetup? What would you like more/less of?

I am looking to bring in more people and networking the attraction. Any input is appreciated.

User Stats

Votes
Allan Smith
  • Developer
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Nashville, TN
Replied Nov 22 2022, 20:00

There needs to be a high ratio of investors actually doing deals to newbies/vendors/salespeople. Say, 3:1.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Nov 23 2022, 04:30

I agree with Allan. Too many meetups become sales pitches for people pushing product. That should happen on occasion, but the real purpose is for actual investors to network, share experiences, and learn from each other.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Nate Sanow
Pro Member
  • I​nvestor & Agent
  • Tulsa, OK
Votes |
Pro Member
  • I​nvestor & Agent
  • Tulsa, OK
Replied Nov 23 2022, 04:35

If you beer it, they will come ;) 

User Stats

Votes
Billy Daniel
Pro Member
  • Russellville, AR
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Russellville, AR
Replied Nov 23 2022, 05:19

I went to a meetup once and the leader had us count off into 6 groups.  He then sent each group to a corner so they could get to know each other.  It's a little elementary school-esque, but it worked and was great.

We had a meeting in an old theater once.  It was nice when it was time for the speaker to deliver his message, but terrible for networking.  There wasn't much standing room without falling over those fold up chairs.

Also a the theater, there was no food or beverage offered.  Providing that stuff is a must in my opinion.  Even if the members have to pay for it.

User Stats

Votes
Alicia Marks
Pro Member
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied Nov 23 2022, 07:20
Quote from @Billy Daniel:

I went to a meetup once and the leader had us count off into 6 groups.  He then sent each group to a corner so they could get to know each other.  It's a little elementary school-esque, but it worked and was great.

We had a meeting in an old theater once.  It was nice when it was time for the speaker to deliver his message, but terrible for networking.  There wasn't much standing room without falling over those fold up chairs.

Also a the theater, there was no food or beverage offered.  Providing that stuff is a must in my opinion.  Even if the members have to pay for it.

I agree, people gather around food. I just did meat and fruit trays, but I’m thinking of doing a taco bar as well.