Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes

Add a bedroom to single family house

Posted Nov 25 2022, 15:59

Can you add a 3rd bedroom in an already rented out 2 bedroom single family house? Do you need the permission for the tenants who already live there? Can you then increase the over all rent, but still low enough so that the current tenants wouldn’t be paying more than what they are paying now?

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Nov 26 2022, 04:24
Quote from @Lina Vezzani-Katano:

Can you add a 3rd bedroom in an already rented out 2 bedroom single family house? Do you need the permission for the tenants who already live there? Can you then increase the over all rent, but still low enough so that the current tenants wouldn’t be paying more than what they are paying now?

Welcome to the BiggerPockets forums!

You would disturb the tenant's right to quite enjoyment by renovating the house and then you would essentially change the terms of their lease by adding another roommate to share the kitchen, bathroom, living room, parking, etc. If you are going to change the terms of a rental agreement, you need all parties to agree or you need to wait until the current lease expires.

Have a conversation with the current renters. If they're willing to accept the changes, go for it! If not, wait until their lease expires and they move out, then renovate and find new renters willing to pay the higher rate.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jeet Sangha
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Gilroy, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Gilroy, CA
Replied Nov 28 2022, 09:54

Yes, you will need their permission because of the disturbance. If you are going to do extensive renovations. I think it would be best to wait until their lease is up. If they are month to month, you can give them a 30 or 60 day notice (depending on the length of residency) to vacate and then do the renovations. Is there a specific reason you want to add a 3rd bedroom while it's occupied?

Coldwell Banker Realty Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 28 2022, 10:56
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

Welcome to the BiggerPockets forums!

You would disturb the tenant's right to quite enjoyment by renovating the house and then you would essentially change the terms of their lease by adding another roommate to share the kitchen, bathroom, living room, parking, etc. If you are going to change the terms of a rental agreement, you need all parties to agree or you need to wait until the current lease expires.

Have a conversation with the current renters. If they're willing to accept the changes, go for it! If not, wait until their lease expires and they move out, then renovate and find new renters willing to pay the higher rate.

Thank you for your insight and I think you are completely right, it would be of a disturbance. I will implement a plan once their lease is up. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Nov 28 2022, 11:01
Quote from @Jeet Sangha:

Yes, you will need their permission because of the disturbance. If you are going to do extensive renovations. I think it would be best to wait until their lease is up. If they are month to month, you can give them a 30 or 60 day notice (depending on the length of residency) to vacate and then do the renovations. Is there a specific reason you want to add a 3rd bedroom while it's occupied?

Thank you for your reply! It was a plan to add more revenue for me by increasing the rent because it was going to cost me a lot for a basement renovation. Would I be able to not renew the current tenants’ lease in June 2023 because of this renovation, but that they are welcome to reapply again once the renovation is finished?

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 28 2022, 20:55

This is a long shot. Construction like that is a major liability with tenants in place. I would wait till the lease ends and do this addition