General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Bennett
Votes |
First property mortgage

Thomas Bennett
Posted Dec 2 2022, 17:37

I came across this home for sale that I'd like to buy for my sons, they will be paying for the mortgage.. I was told there's different rates because its going to be considered a rental ? Will I get a better rate if my family will be occupying the home?

User Stats

Votes
Sam Shueh
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cupertino, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cupertino, CA
Replied Dec 2 2022, 18:36

Ask the loan agent what the most optimum method is.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Dumler
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Dec 3 2022, 06:44

@Thomas Bennett, your sons will technically be your tenants. Yes, there is a difference in rates and fees for an investment loan vs. an owner-occupied loan. In your particular case, however, it does not matter that your family will be occupying the home, you would still need to qualify for an investment loan to purchase the property. Furthermore, I believe there are a handful of tax codes/rules when it comes to renting to family members so make sure you're aware of those. Feel free to reach out to me via cell, text, email, etc. and I can connect you with several local lenders to help out if interested (contact info listed in my bio).

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Dec 3 2022, 07:05
Quote from @Thomas Bennett:

I came across this home for sale that I'd like to buy for my sons, they will be paying for the mortgage.. I was told there's different rates because its going to be considered a rental ? Will I get a better rate if my family will be occupying the home?

You can typically get better rates when it's owner-occupied because they see you have a vested interest in the property.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Bennett
Votes |
Replied Dec 3 2022, 07:49
Quote from @Michael Dumler:

@Thomas Bennett, your sons will technically be your tenants. Yes, there is a difference in rates and fees for an investment loan vs. an owner-occupied loan. In your particular case, however, it does not matter that your family will be occupying the home, you would still need to qualify for an investment loan to purchase the property. Furthermore, I believe there are a handful of tax codes/rules when it comes to renting to family members so make sure you're aware of those. Feel free to reach out to me via cell, text, email, etc. and I can connect you with several local lenders to help out if interested (contact info listed in my bio).

My plan was to buy that property for my sons and let them pay the mortgage, then I would rent our current 4bdrm home out and the wife and I can find a smaller place for us to live. 

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 3 2022, 08:43

Conventional is going to give you a cheaper rate than a rental. If you already have a loan in your name you may not be able to do this