General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Tom Cook
Votes |
Missed giving rent increase notice

Tom Cook
Posted Dec 3 2022, 11:14

My tenant's one year lease is up for renewal on 2/1/2023.  I just realized I should have given them their lease renewal options on 12/1/2022!  I spaced making a calendar reminder.

I am planning on increasing the rent by $120 (5%) upon renewal.  Can I renew their lease on 2/1/2023 with the stipulation that the new rent amount will take effect on 3/1/2023 (almost 90-day notice)?

Thanks,

Tom

User Stats

Votes
Greg Scott
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • SE Michigan
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • SE Michigan
Replied Dec 3 2022, 12:30
The answer is in your lease and in your local ordinance, so it may be hard for anyone to answer for you.  What does your lease say? Do your local laws require a certain amount of notice?

In many locations, lack of a new lease means the lease converts to month-to-month.  Many leases have a rent increase for month-to-month.  In other words, you may not have lost much even if your new lease kicks in one month late.

User Stats

Votes
Bjorn Ahlblad
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Replied Dec 3 2022, 12:32

@Tom Cook what does your lease say? If is says this lease becomes MTM after the 12 month term-it very likely says something similar, then yes you can send notice 2/1/2023 and make the rent increase take effect 3/1/2023.

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Dec 4 2022, 05:57
Quote from @Tom Cook:

I just did a quick search and found this: https://www.cityofvancouver.us...

This is a city website and it says you have to give 45-day notice of rent increase and 60-day notice of termination. Call the City on Monday to verify. It looks to me like you are fine.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo