Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Antonio Bavaro
Votes |
Tenant Refusing to leave after non-renewal time is up.

Antonio Bavaro
Posted Dec 3 2022, 11:41

Hi everyone,

This is my first time having to evict a tenant and I want to do it the proper way. I purchase the property last month knowing I would have to evict one of the tenants due to the fact he wasn't paying. When I purchased it he payed me the rent for the first month. I Posted his notice that I would not be renewing his lease at the beginning of next month. He was on a month to month so I gave him a proper 30 day notice, on the 1st of the month. I'm not renewing the lease because I want to upgrade the unit. Can I evict him at any point after the 30 days are up? It's a tenancy at sufferance I believe, also the property is in Tampa Florida.

Thank you so much.

User Stats

Votes
Greg Scott
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • SE Michigan
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • SE Michigan
Replied Dec 3 2022, 12:26

If you gave a notice of non-renewal and the time is up, you do not have to evict.  There is no lease, no contract, so it is much easier to get them out.  You sue for possession. 

Best to get some legal help.  Find an attorney that specializes in evictions.  The cost is minimal compared to the peace of mind and speed at which they will handle it.

User Stats

Votes
Antonio Bavaro
Votes |
Replied Dec 3 2022, 20:36
Quote from @Greg Scott:

If you gave a notice of non-renewal and the time is up, you do not have to evict.  There is no lease, no contract, so it is much easier to get them out.  You sue for possession. 

Best to get some legal help.  Find an attorney that specializes in evictions.  The cost is minimal compared to the peace of mind and speed at which they will handle it.

Thank You.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Dec 4 2022, 05:54
Quote from @Antonio Bavaro:

This is a termination, not an eviction. You give them 30 day notice with a clear expectation that they vacate no later than 11:59PM on [DATE]. If they refuse, then you start the eviction process. Start learning what the eviction process is and be prepared for it. https://www.hillsclerk.com/Cou...

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Adlam
  • Property Manager
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Dec 5 2022, 05:24

The proper time would be to file for an ejection. This should be a quick and simple matter depending on if you are seeking to collect the past due rent.

User Stats

Votes
Kristina Kuba
Pro Member
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Dec 5 2022, 07:45

Evictions Plus has always done a great job for myself and my clients

Evictions Plus

4556 S Manhattan Ave, Tampa, FL 33611

(813) 839-3343

User Stats

Votes
Antonio Bavaro
Votes |
Replied Dec 5 2022, 18:58

Kristina, 

I started the process with them today thank you for your support.