• Investor
  • Pennsylvania
Votes |
Children of tenant caught stealing items from surrounding propery

Matthew Morrow
  • Investor
  • Pennsylvania
Posted Dec 3 2022, 12:17

One of our fairly new tenants who previously checked all of our boxes has a minor who has been caught on camera stealing packages and items from surrounding homes. This obviously is a problem, but the only reason we know about it is because we happen to personally know one of the victims. There have been formal police reports filed, any suggestion as to next steps or any experience you’ve all had?

This obviously is a problem, but we are still learning about the scenario and what we can do, if anything without overstepping bounds, or the law. It’s definitely civil law situation, but what if any liability to we have to say something since we’re made aware of it directly by the victim  

We have contacted our attorney and and waiting their guidance but curious if anyone here has had instances like this? 

Their HUD lease is up August of next year -

User Stats

Votes
V.G Jason
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Dec 3 2022, 12:21

This is your tenant's issue, not your issue. I wouldn't get involved, unless authorities are asking for some sort of information that is voluntary. Otherwise, mind your business. 

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Morrow
  • Investor
  • Pennsylvania
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Pennsylvania
Replied Dec 3 2022, 17:51
Quote from @V.G Jason:

This is your tenant's issue, not your issue. I wouldn't get involved, unless authorities are asking for some sort of information that is voluntary. Otherwise, mind your business. 

Thanks and I agree. I don’t want to get involved.   I should have included that the property is on the same block as my home and the minke in question has other serious run ins with our police.   Their lease obviously won’t be renew but just curious what if any liability we have in the meantime 
BiggerPockets logo
Meet Investor-Friendly Agents
|
BiggerPockets
Network with top investor-friendly agents who can help you find, analyze, and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Dec 3 2022, 17:59

Does your lease address this type of situation?

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Dec 4 2022, 05:51
Quote from @Matthew Morrow:

You normally don't want to get involved in family drama or playing police. However, you also don't want to take the liability of housing people engaged in criminal activity. 

If I have clear proof, I approach the Tenants and let them know that one more violation will result in termination. I offer them the opportunity to get out of their lease without penalty if they can find somewhere to move earlier. And I let them know that I will not renew their lease under any circumstances, so they'll have to move at some point anyway. If they stay and it happens again, I serve them with a 30-day termination notice (or whatever your State allows). 

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Morrow
  • Investor
  • Pennsylvania
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Pennsylvania
Replied Dec 4 2022, 08:27

@Nathan Gesner Thanks for this. I completely agree. Don't want to get involved in drama. BUT this is near my home, and the child had been a known issue in recent past. Its a HAP contract and it clearly stipulates in the agreement. Picture attached.

Having them there seems like a liability shall anything else happen and we've been made aware of this. 

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 4 2022, 10:06

A one time mess up by a kid, or a criminal enterprise(???)

If it's a criminal enterprise, I'd say Door--behind--don't let it hit you in the....

But follow legal procedures in your area.

Look parents here's  a new MacBook, and a some size 6 ladies shoes, and $300 shaver, and a new Dell Monitor and Cat Back Muffler system for a Mustang etc, etc, etc... (and the parents don't know this is happening ????) vs a one time mess up by the kid.

Do they still have reform schools, or is that Juvenal hall, or kids jail or whatever, but this young man will probably be spending some time there soon. In some areas they might even try him as an adult (do they still do that to kids???).

If you have videos, it seems like the Police Department would want to see them.

Good Luck!

User Stats

Votes
Malkia Ra
  • Prince George's County, MD
Votes |
  • Prince George's County, MD
Replied Dec 4 2022, 16:30
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
Quote from @Matthew Morrow:

You normally don't want to get involved in family drama or playing police. However, you also don't want to take the liability of housing people engaged in criminal activity. 

If I have clear proof, I approach the Tenants and let them know that one more violation will result in termination. I offer them the opportunity to get out of their lease without penalty if they can find somewhere to move earlier. And I let them know that I will not renew their lease under any circumstances, so they'll have to move at some point anyway. If they stay and it happens again, I serve them with a 30-day termination notice (or whatever your State allows). 

Agreed.

My lease template indicates criminal activity by any occupant will result in lease termination.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Dymski#5 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
Mike Dymski#5 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greenville, SC
Replied Dec 4 2022, 17:57

I don't support criminal activity morally or in my leases.  I would discuss it with them and make arrangements to move out.  I didn't get into real estate to support the crap that the rest of society claims is none of our business.

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Morrow
  • Investor
  • Pennsylvania
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Pennsylvania
Replied Dec 5 2022, 07:11
Quote from @Scott Mac:

A one time mess up by a kid, or a criminal enterprise(???)

If it's a criminal enterprise, I'd say Door--behind--don't let it hit you in the....

But follow legal procedures in your area.

Look parents here's  a new MacBook, and a some size 6 ladies shoes, and $300 shaver, and a new Dell Monitor and Cat Back Muffler system for a Mustang etc, etc, etc... (and the parents don't know this is happening ????) vs a one time mess up by the kid.

Do they still have reform schools, or is that Juvenal hall, or kids jail or whatever, but this young man will probably be spending some time there soon. In some areas they might even try him as an adult (do they still do that to kids???).

If you have videos, it seems like the Police Department would want to see them.

Good Luck!

Police have the Videos, and the person who was the victim reached out to us directly.
Appointment with our attorney this afternoon to further discuss. Certainly don’t want to ruin a situation for a family when one kid is causing the problems. But we also don’t want to expose Ourselves to any unnecessary liability