General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Rebecca S.
Votes |
Heat and The Broiler

Rebecca S.
Posted Dec 4 2022, 09:22

Hello, I have new tenants in a month to month lease. I started them off with 101 gallons of fuel oil. They moved in about the first week of November. Issues started I had someone come out and drain the system. it was up and working broiler installed in 2009. I get a call that it will not light after a fill of oil- then I find that the broiler had run dry and cracked and is now leaking- different stories as to how long the tank was empty- maybe ten days. So now I need a new broiler. My lease said they are responsible for the heat. I did not see this forum before writing the lease and did not include that it has to be at a set temperature. 

Side issue I was having some windows replaced and in the 3 days between the quote and the work, another larger window just broke, I mean completely broke no explanation. It is on the second floor, so nothing kicked up. I had that replaced and all was well. When we discussed this tenant said she thought all heat went out the windows. I said no if you are using 3 gallons a day you would have had 33 days if you used 4 gallons a day 25 days of heat. Then she said she did not know " that stuff" I said I do not think the window contributed to it. 

Now  I am looking at a broiler replacement. Someone else said with no heat it cracked. The product itself may have been defective as one service person said this is the third module of this type that is leaking this year. The same company has a gas heater recall. i am going to ask the tenant for copies of the fill up receipts. 

I am thinking this arrangement may not work out.  

every time I send a repair person there the tenants always add to it. Its only been a month and I wanted bathroom work and the tenants are talking about other things. 

I mentioned they may have to move while I get this replaced they said they are okay. They have heaters running now

Loading replies...