General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Jorge Morales
Votes |
Heating for rental: Electric vs pellet stove

Jorge Morales
Posted Dec 18 2022, 20:44

I am currently under contract on a property i plan on renting out long term. The property has electric baseboard heat in every room throughout the property. Yet in the dining room there is a pellet stove the previous owner used to use along with 4 huge pallets of pellets in the basement. I am unfamiliar with a pellet stove and i feel uncomfortable renting and having tenants use it since it may be a safety hazard also that seems like a fire hazard. Is it possible for me to remove it? If so, How much would that cost? Is it worth it to remove it? If anybody has had any experience with this i would like to hear about it and what is the best way to go about it. Thank you.

User Stats

Votes
Bjorn Ahlblad
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Replied Dec 18 2022, 22:13

Pellet stoves are good for owners in Alaska but not for tenants in Philly. Try to make it unusable rather than removing it. Generally they are electric start so easy to disable.

User Stats

Votes
Will Fraser
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Salt Lake City & Oklahoma City
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Dec 19 2022, 03:25

@Bjorn Ahlblad are these common in Washington at all?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied Dec 19 2022, 04:18

I agree with removing the stove. I have a wood stove in one of my rental as the power is known to go out for a day or two with winter storms.  In another that is in town, I simply removed the stove...and put it on the curb where someone took it for free.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Dec 19 2022, 05:22
Quote from @Jorge Morales:

Pellet stoves, particularly newer ones, are an extremely safe and cost-effective method of heating a home. They pump out a lot of heat and can warm the entire house. You can leave them running at night without having to load it like a traditional wood stove. 

Heating a home with oil will likely run more than $2,000 this winter. Electric baseboard could run $1,000 a more. A pellet stove may cost $300. You already have the stove and you already have four pallets of pellets, so you can probably heat the home for free this year.

It would be foolish to get rid of it.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jared Hottle
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cedar falls IA Waterloo, IA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cedar falls IA Waterloo, IA
Replied Dec 19 2022, 05:28

I think remove it and install it at your house or in your garage and leave the baseboard heat. Anything that requires tenants to buy stuff from the store and successfully get back to their house to operate it will likely not get done (see water softener) having a one off like that that tenants are not familiar with may lead to mistakes in operation. I do like pellet stoves so using it at your place is a great option or put it on FB marketplace and make some money off it. 

User Stats

Votes
Bjorn Ahlblad
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Replied Dec 19 2022, 07:22
Quote from @Will Fraser:

We have the cheapest electricity in the US in Wa and yes, wood burning and pellet stoves are still popular.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Dec 19 2022, 07:27

The last rental I bought had a wood-burning stove, and even though it could provide a lot of cheap heat, I chose to get rid of it. Too much risk IMO. Now a pellet stove is different and safer by far, but you need to do what you feel safe doing.

User Stats

Votes
Will Fraser
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Dec 20 2022, 03:56
Quote from @Bjorn Ahlblad:
Quote from @Will Fraser:

We have the cheapest electricity in the US in Wa and yes, wood burning and pellet stoves are still popular.

Got it.  What factors make the electricity relatively cheap in WA?

User Stats

Votes
Bjorn Ahlblad
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Replied Dec 20 2022, 07:18
Quote from @Will Fraser:
Quote from @Will Fraser:

Thera are dams on rivers, windmill farms, solar farms and maybe politicians don't realize that this can be taxed more. Have a great Holiday Season!

User Stats

Votes
Will Fraser
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Dec 21 2022, 13:23
Quote from @Will Fraser:
Quote from @Will Fraser:

Thera are dams on rivers, windmill farms, solar farms and maybe politicians don't realize that this can be taxed more. Have a great Holiday Season!

You too, Bjorn!

User Stats

Votes
Henry T.
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Dec 22 2022, 00:04

if you're going electric I don't think you can beat these....

probably 1/4 what it cost to run baseboards.

and you have air conditioning too!

https://www.amazon.com/Senvill...

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied Dec 23 2022, 08:28

@Henry T. Good suggestion but one of those is not going to do a multibedroom house.

@Jorge Morales  you need a landlord policy for insurance and the pellet stove may impact the cost so you may want to check that out.

User Stats

Votes
Wesley W.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • The Vampire State
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • The Vampire State
Replied Dec 23 2022, 14:39

Pellet stoves may be cheap and efficient (we heat our own home with wood), but as others have said - I get very nervous with something like that in the hands of a tenant.  In order of decreasing importance, I worry about liability from burns on children/pets (they get ridiculously hot while operating), risk of house fire (like if they lean something combustible against it or do not provide a wide enough berth around it), and smoke damage/deposits on the walls from improper use/air mixture adjustment.  You also will bear an additional maintenance expense for annual cleaning of the chimney and unit itself.

If you have gas service on the street, you could use gas-fired "room furnaces" - I use them almost exclusively in my rentals.  They do not have that many parts so are easy to maintain and are pretty bullet proof.  The manufacturer I use most is Williams.  The box home improvement stores carry them.  One unit will heat up to about 800 sq ft.  I sometimes supplement with electric wall units in the bathrooms (since people like to be toasty coming out of the shower).  On my larger rental units that do not have furnace/boiler, I have two units installed - one at either end of the unit.

User Stats

Votes
Joehn B.
  • Investor
  • Dallas
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Dallas
Replied Dec 27 2022, 21:31

The mini split heat pumps won't work very well below 32F, you would need an alternate emergency heat strip of sorts to back it up.  The do make multi-zone ones so one unit can heat 4 rooms, but all rooms would have to be nearby for it to work layout wise.

I would love to have a pellet stove.