General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Andy Vasquez
Votes |
Protecting Assests Without Transferring the Deed

Andy Vasquez
Posted Dec 21 2022, 12:22

I live in DC and want to rent out the house that I am living in today. It is my understanding that I cannot transfer the deed into a LLC without paying a huge transfer fee. Is there anything I can do to protect myself from potential legal issues? Ideally, I would have liked to set up a LLC, but that doesn't seem reasonable when considering the fee associated with it.

User Stats

Votes
Andy Vasquez
Votes |
Replied Jan 2 2023, 19:01

Thank you all for your help. Looks like there is no point setting up an LLC. As such, do I apply for the BBL license in DC using my SS, or should I get an EIN?

User Stats

Votes
Richard H. White II
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 2 2023, 19:16

Here are some exceptions to the recording tax.

https://otr.cfo.dc.gov/publica...

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Jan 2 2023, 19:23
Quote from @Andy Vasquez:

I live in DC and want to rent out the house that I am living in today. It is my understanding that I cannot transfer the deed into a LLC without paying a huge transfer fee. Is there anything I can do to protect myself from potential legal issues? Ideally, I would have liked to set up a LLC, but that doesn't seem reasonable when considering the fee associated with it.

Just get an umbrella insurance policy.

You dont want to own property in an llc in DC anyways as you would automatically be subject to rent control if you did

District Invest Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jack Seiden
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington DC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington DC
Replied Jan 2 2023, 19:35
Quote from @Andy Vasquez:

Thank you all for your help. Looks like there is no point setting up an LLC. As such, do I apply for the BBL license in DC using my SS, or should I get an EIN?

S.S. An ein is only obtainable through an llc. My advice would be to split the difference and just over insure, have 1 mil in assets get a 2 mil umbrella, have 2 mil, get a 4 mil. The other big benefit to an umbrella is it protects you against all aspects of liability risk, people get so worried about rental properties, when by farrrr the biggest risk is auto related. 

• Real Estate Agent Virginia (#0225260957), District of Columbia (#Sp40001090), and Maryland (#667710)

• Samson Properties
Samson Properties  Logo