• Rental Property Investor
  • Washington, DC
Votes |
Dealing with non-responsive property manager +bad tenant

Derrick F.
  • Washington, DC
Posted Jan 3 2023, 11:03

Hey yall-- Can someone offer advice on a relatively non-responsive property manager (when it comes to problems like my current one) and now a month to month tenant who missed rent last month? 

The property manager really dragged their feet on getting us details about the rent not being paid and now that the tenant is in arrears by 1month.  And  it's not clear that the property manager will go forward with  noticing the tenants to vacate  or leave that task on us.    

Any solutions to these two problems which I haven't figured my way out of are welcome.

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Jan 3 2023, 18:24

Well any other property manager is likely not going to take over the property with a non-paying tenant. Get the tenant evicted, other by being hands on, or pressing your property manager. Then when the tenant is out, fire the PM and hire a new one. 

District Invest Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jan 4 2023, 06:10
Quote from @Derrick F.:

I would give the PM notice that you expect a written, specific plan for how they will get the Tenant caught up or removed. I think a 72-hour deadline is reasonable for the response. Include a warning that if they fail to respond/act, you intend to file a complaint with the commission: https://dcdcra.seamlessdocs.co...

When a Broker gets a call from the commission, they will usually bend over backwards to make the problem go away because they don't want the commission digging through their files.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Derrick F.
  • Washington, DC
Votes |
  • Washington, DC
Replied Jan 8 2023, 11:33

It escalated a bit.   The furnace caught fire but the firefighters were pretty good about not destroying the property.  But now obviously I need contractors!  Any recommendations would be highly appreciated.  Doesn't look like a full gut but waiting on insurance to give me some idea of what I'm working with.

User Stats

Votes
John Mocker#1 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Norwalk, CT
Votes |
  • Insurance Agent
  • Norwalk, CT
Replied Jan 9 2023, 08:39

Derrick,

Contact your insurance agent and make sure the claim is filed.  Ask about Restoration Contractors.  Most Insurance companies gladly pay the rates for those contractors because quick work on a Water or Fire loss generally lowers the overall costs.  Both your agent and the Restoration company may know of contractors in your area.