Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Johnnie Schneider
  • Investor
Votes |
Favorite markets to invest in Georgia or Alabama?

Johnnie Schneider
  • Investor
Posted Jan 10 2023, 08:29

Looking to hear from some experienced long term rental property owners. Those of you who own long term rentals in Georgia or Alabama what markets/towns are you in and why. My partner and I are looking to narrow down what market we will be choosing to buy our first long term rental. Thanks in advance!

User Stats

Votes
Danyllene Munoz
Votes |
Replied Jan 10 2023, 09:15

Both states are on the rise and booming! 

Both Georgia and Alabama affordable housing market and low cost of living make it a great place for beginner investors. A diverse economy and steady growth offers various opportunities for all kinds of investment properties, ranging from vacation homes to house flipping to traditional long-term rentals.

Mercedes-Benz has launched production of the all-electric luxury EQS SUV at its Tuscaloosa County, Alabama plant which will bring lots of employment opportunities.

As a result of reforms, reduced tax burdens and long-term investment, Georgia is emerging as a beacon of stability for doing business at the intersection of Europe and Asia.

I would take these for bullet points when looking into making a decision in which state to invest in:

1. * Population Trends. Population trends give a sense of what the overall future housing demand may look like for a city.
  2. * Economy & Employment.
  3. * Salary & Income Trends. 
  4. * Price-to-Rent Ratios.

Hope this helps a little in you and your partner making a decision!

Good Luck!

User Stats

Votes
Hamp Lee III
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Jan 10 2023, 09:42

Reach out to @Johnny Lynum. He invests in Birmingham, Alabama.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Gabe Long
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Birmimgham, AL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Birmimgham, AL
Replied Jan 10 2023, 10:12

I was very active for years in Atlanta and now work exclusively in Birmingham AL.  I'd love to chat about it.  @Johnnie Schneider

User Stats

Votes
Penny Brown
  • Realtor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jan 10 2023, 14:48
ATL...my friend! How about them dawgs last night?  Ga over Alabama all day for long term investing...better jobs, better income, diverse housing stock at various price points.  We're on all of the top list to invest for a good reason...we deliver in Atlanta!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 10 2023, 15:39

GA is rapidly becoming the EV battery state, which should be a point of consideration.

User Stats

Votes
Andris Linauts
  • Northern Virginia
Votes |
  • Northern Virginia
Replied Jan 10 2023, 15:50

When compared to Georgia, it looks like Alabama falls short. Is this a situation where Alabama has more room to develop and potential for future growth? Georgia has a TON of Fortune 500's. I've been looking into Birmingham specifically, but hard to ignore the economic strengths of Georgia (though I'm not sure if this means B-Ham is a bad choice).

User Stats

Votes
Bonnie Low
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Replied Jan 14 2023, 09:43

@Penny Brown we're looking at GA, too. We typically like to be just outside the metro area. Are there areas around ATL you recommend to choose or to avoid? Would love some insights.

User Stats

Votes
Penny Brown
  • Realtor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jan 22 2023, 11:35
Quote from @Bonnie Low:

@Penny Brown we're looking at GA, too. We typically like to be just outside the metro area. Are there areas around ATL you recommend to choose or to avoid? Would love some insights.

Your location depends on your strategy.  If you're doing AirBnB, definitely want to stay inside City close to tourist attractions.  For flips, look to East Atl. For buy and hold, most of the city/suburbs works, just depends on whether you want section 8 or market rents.  But all rents are steady.  If you have one in particular you are looking at, I'd be happy to walk it for you and be a second set of eyes. 

User Stats

Votes
Phillip Austin
  • Property Manager
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jan 22 2023, 18:27

@Johnnie Schneider Huntsville, AL should be at the top of your radar. 

https://realestate.usnews.com/...

User Stats

Votes
Chris Mignone
  • Investor
  • East Islip, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • East Islip, NY
Replied Jan 23 2023, 08:55
Quote from @Phillip Austin:

@Johnnie Schneider Huntsville, AL should be at the top of your radar. 

https://realestate.usnews.com/...

Couldn't agree more. I have been buying aggressively in the area over the past year or so. Outstanding market!

User Stats

Votes
Johnnie Schneider
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Jan 26 2023, 16:04
Quote from @Penny Brown:
Quote from @Bonnie Low:

Your location depends on your strategy.  If you're doing AirBnB, definitely want to stay inside City close to tourist attractions.  For flips, look to East Atl. For buy and hold, most of the city/suburbs works, just depends on whether you want section 8 or market rents.  But all rents are steady.  If you have one in particular you are looking at, I'd be happy to walk it for you and be a second set of eyes. 

Awesome thanks Penny, if we find a property that we're looking at in Atlanta ill be sure to reach out to you! I appreciate it 

User Stats

Votes
Michael S.
  • Huntsville, AL
Votes |
  • Huntsville, AL
Replied Jan 26 2023, 17:19

I think northern Alabama has more investors than available properties at this point in time.  

Seriously.   

Can't speak for the rest of the state, as I've never invested south of Guntersville.  

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 26 2023, 21:31

Look into Killeen Texas.

User Stats