• Nashville, TN
Votes |
Tenant signed lease and someone else moved in

Allie Robertson
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nashville, TN
Posted Jan 10 2023, 15:52

So my boyfriend has a duplex and had a lease signed a couple months ago. 

We’ve noticed the person that signed the lease does not seem to be the one living there- it seems to be other people. 

This person is paying rent early so far, but obviously don’t want to keep this going. We don’t know how to proceed without eviction, so any alternatives or thoughts are welcome. Thanks! 

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 10 2023, 16:50

Who did your boyfriend give the keys to and what does the lease say (can they sublet)?

User Stats

Votes
Allie Robertson
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nashville, TN
Replied Jan 10 2023, 18:53
Quote from @Theresa Harris:

Who did your boyfriend give the keys to and what does the lease say (can they sublet)?

The keys were given to the lady who signed the lease but the door has a code as well. 

The lease does not allow subletting and states it would terminate the lease

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Matt Ziegler
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Jan 10 2023, 19:10

You/your boyfriend, or whomever is managing the property should speak with the occupant and find out what the situation is. Honest, direct communication is needed to clarify what’s going on. Once you know the deal, you can refer to the lease( the signed contract) and proceed accordingly. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jan 10 2023, 20:30
Quote from @Allie Robertson:
Quote from @Theresa Harris:

The keys were given to the lady who signed the lease but the door has a code as well. 

The lease does not allow subletting and states it would terminate the lease

Then you need to see whose name the utilities are in and who is occupying the house.  If it is not the person whose name is on the lease, you need to talk to that person and find out what is going and let them know they are in violation of the lease.

User Stats

Votes
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Votes |
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Replied Jan 10 2023, 20:40
Aloha,

Was it made clear at all stages of the transaction that all adults that would be occupying needed to provide their info with the application, and sign the Rental Agreement? Does the agreement address "guests" that stay more than X days are prohibited/must sign onto the agreement? If either of these were addressed in the agreement, send/deliver a notice of violation per local law and the terms of the agreement.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 10 2023, 20:43

Confront the tenant about this first. If this is the case tell them you are going to proceed with eviction, that should be enough to scare them off. 

User Stats

Votes
Allie Robertson
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nashville, TN
Replied Jan 12 2023, 18:57
Quote from @Eliott Elias:

Confront the tenant about this first. If this is the case tell them you are going to proceed with eviction, that should be enough to scare them off. 

True. We’ve asked once before and she said that it was just friends and they weren’t staying long- but we’ve seen way more of these people and almost none of the actual person on the lease. 

User Stats

Votes
Allie Robertson
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nashville, TN
Replied Jan 12 2023, 19:00
Quote from @Richard F.:
Aloha,

Was it made clear at all stages of the transaction that all adults that would be occupying needed to provide their info with the application, and sign the Rental Agreement? Does the agreement address "guests" that stay more than X days are prohibited/must sign onto the agreement? If either of these were addressed in the agreement, send/deliver a notice of violation per local law and the terms of the agreement.
The lease states “ Tenant shall not allow any other person, other than Tenant’s immediate family or transient relatives and friends who are guests of Tenant, to use or occupy the Premises without first obtaining Landlord’s written consent to such use.” 

It doesn’t really state how many days- it’s pretty vague. Thank you for the response! 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jan 13 2023, 05:40

I don't think Tennessee has a law regarding guests, but you can still tell them that anyone staying longer than two weeks in any six-month period is no longer a guest.

If the person that signed the lease cannot prove they live there, I would terminate the lease and force them all out.
  • Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Patricia Steiner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Hyde Park Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Hyde Park Tampa, FL
Replied Jan 13 2023, 06:16

Two things first:  what does your lease state about authorized occupants and what is your state law.  Tennessee is a "tenant friendly" state.  For example:  "Any guest staying in the property more than two weeks in any six-month period will be considered a tenant, rather than a guest, and must be added in the lease agreement."  In my state, this would be a lease violation and we would give 7 days notice to cure before terminating the lease and kicking them to the curb.

What you may find you have here is a sublease - which unless it is allowed in your lease is always a lease violation.  I recommend sending the leasee (the tenant on the lease) a written notice that the lease has been violated with a non-lease occupant and it needs to be cured immediately. You can do this via email or by mail delivery with proof of delivery - but not text as the courts have ruled that copies of text messages are not admissable in court.  

If nothing else, you have the right to know who is living in your property and fix this fast.  Don't threaten eviction unless your state law considers this due cause as that would be costly to the owner.  

Hope this helps...

User Stats

Votes
Harris Miller
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nashville
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nashville
Replied Jan 16 2023, 08:50
Quote from @Richard F.:
Aloha,

The lease states “ Tenant shall not allow any other person, other than Tenant’s immediate family or transient relatives and friends who are guests of Tenant, to use or occupy the Premises without first obtaining Landlord’s written consent to such use.” 

It doesn’t really state how many days- it’s pretty vague. Thank you for the response! 

Hey Allie, I would start putting wording in the contracts that state how long a guest can stay before they are a tenant (like Patricia said but not sure the # of days for TN). Places I have lived in the past have these statements and while usually it was not strictly enforced, they would make sure I knew this signing the lease in case I were to have someone stay too long and also had the affect of myself making sure I didn't break this rule even while I knew it wouldn't be enforced strictly. I know I recycled some info that people already said but hope my input helps!

User Stats

Votes
Phillip Austin
  • Property Manager
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jan 16 2023, 13:52

Absolutely speak with the tenants first and see if you can get an honest answer as what's going on. If you're not satisfied with their answer and determine they're not abiding by the lease, post a demand for compliance according to state/local law. If they don't cure the demand, connect with your local eviction attorney and proceed with an eviction.

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.