Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Nkechi Jarvis
Votes |
First rental property - should I use Schedulemyrent.com?

Nkechi Jarvis
Posted Mar 22 2023, 09:34

I just rented my first property after some hurdles and the first rent is due in April. Someone recommended that I should use schedulemyrent.com for rent collection and for the tenant to report repairs. This is supposedly a low cost landlord software and I would like suggestions/recommendations from anyone who has used this management software. Any other recommendations are welcome, as I have only one property. 

Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Miller McSwain
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Mar 22 2023, 10:26

I hadn't heard of schedulemyrent.com. I took a quick peak at their website and it looks like they may not be as developed as the other softwares that are often talked about.

There are lots of well-known property management softwares. I'm a single-family investor, and I recently looked through the most popular softwares and selected one. The products I investigated were:

1. Tenant Cloud
2. Apartments.com
3. Innago
4. Avail
5. RentRedi

I was looking for a software that met the following criteria:
1. Online payments from tenants
2. Automatic late fees
3. Maintenance request portal
4. Free for the landlord
5. Online applications
6. Tenant screening (background checks, etc)
7. Lease signing
8. Ability to post vacancies in the software

I found that Innago was the only one to meet all these requirements. It does charge a $2 fee for each rent payment, but that is charged to the tenant by default. I haven't had any complaints from tenants about this charge.

The other softwares were pretty good, but here are the deal breakers for each.
Tenant Cloud: Tenants cannot setup autopay unless we have the paid version
Apartments.com: You cannot upload your own lease, you can only make modifications to their lease
Avail: You cannot upload your own lease, you can only make modifications to their lease
RentRedi: No free version AT THE TIME

***I investigated these softwares 8-12 months ago, so some things could have changed. For example, RentRedi is free now if you are a BP Pro member that could potentially make it a contender with Innago for my use. I did try it out recently, and the only thing holding me back is their lease signing feature. It doesn't prefill any of the lease for you. With Innago, for example, I uploaded my lease and indicated where my name, the tenant's name, checkboxes, etc need to be automatically filled. RentRedi doesn't prefill anything, which is a timesuck and a killer for me :(

User Stats

Votes
Nkechi Jarvis
Votes |
Replied Mar 22 2023, 10:37
Quote from @Miller McSwain:

I hadn't heard of schedulemyrent.com. I took a quick peak at their website and it looks like they may not be as developed as the other softwares that are often talked about.

There are lots of well-known property management softwares. I'm a single-family investor, and I recently looked through the most popular softwares and selected one. The products I investigated were:

1. Tenant Cloud
2. Apartments.com
3. Innago
4. Avail
5. RentRedi

I was looking for a software that met the following criteria:
1. Online payments from tenants
2. Automatic late fees
3. Maintenance request portal
4. Free for the landlord
5. Online applications
6. Tenant screening (background checks, etc)
7. Lease signing
8. Ability to post vacancies in the software

I found that Innago was the only one to meet all these requirements. It does charge a $2 fee for each rent payment, but that is charged to the tenant by default. I haven't had any complaints from tenants about this charge.

The other softwares were pretty good, but here are the deal breakers for each.
Tenant Cloud: Tenants cannot setup autopay unless we have the paid version
Apartments.com: You cannot upload your own lease, you can only make modifications to their lease
Avail: You cannot upload your own lease, you can only make modifications to their lease
RentRedi: No free version AT THE TIME

***I investigated these softwares 8-12 months ago, so some things could have changed. For example, RentRedi is free now if you are a BP Pro member that could potentially make it a contender with Innago for my use. I did try it out recently, and the only thing holding me back is their lease signing feature. It doesn't prefill any of the lease for you. With Innago, for example, I uploaded my lease and indicated where my name, the tenant's name, checkboxes, etc need to be automatically filled. RentRedi doesn't prefill anything, which is a timesuck and a killer for me :(

Thank you for your detailed response! I will this out.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 22 2023, 12:32
Quote from @Nkechi Jarvis:

I just rented my first property after some hurdles and the first rent is due in April. Someone recommended that I should use schedulemyrent.com for rent collection and for the tenant to report repairs. This is supposedly a low cost landlord software and I would like suggestions/recommendations from anyone who has used this management software. Any other recommendations are welcome, as I have only one property. 

Thank you!

Hi Nkechi,
I like this article as it highlights the different options based on the number of doors so you don't end up paying for unnecessary features:
https://www.biggerpockets.com/blog/property-management-software

There is a big difference between software focused on 1-10 properties and one focused on 200 or more doors.  

The article hasn't been updated recently as I know Azibo is missing, which we are just starting to use for accounting, so that is another option.  Cozy is now Apartments.com as well.  Good luck!  

User Stats

Votes
Alex Pelletier
Votes |
Replied Mar 22 2023, 13:59

Hey Arthur, thanks for mentioning us. 

Nkechi, I think you'll find that as you look for solutions, there are a lot of different variables and great tools available. Some questions you may be asking yourself:
1) How much am I looking to spend? 
2) How robust are the tools that I am seeking? Do you want to be able to scale to infinite or have the most simple and streamlined solution?

3) Do I need maintenance, listing, accounting, banking, insurance, and more all in one place? What's the best combination of these? 

There are so many platforms like Turbotenant, Avail, Tenantcloud, Azibo, Innago, Apartments.com, Rentredi, and more which will all be great at some of these above! There are always strengths and weaknesses for every platform, especially lower-cost solutions. The good news is that because most of the above are free or have cheaper prices of entry, you can test these out and get a feel for what's best! 

If you ever have any questions about Azibo, feel free to DM me! I'm part of the team there and am always looking for feedback so we can be the best solution for investors like yourself. 

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Mar 22 2023, 15:11

I have one, use a property manager. 

User Stats

Votes
Soh Tanaka
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Lindenhurst, IL
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Lindenhurst, IL
Replied Mar 22 2023, 17:37

I would definitely use software that makes an automatic rent payment. I use apartments.com, it works just fine. Rather than that, you can really just use Excel for now. The next step for me would be to use accounting software more than property management software. There are really very limited activities going on with just one unit. 

User Stats

Votes
Bud Gaffney
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Boston, MA
Replied Mar 22 2023, 18:34

@Nkechi Jarvis no

User Stats

Votes
Bud Gaffney
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Boston, MA
Replied Mar 22 2023, 18:35

@Nkechi Jarvis not necessary in my opinion.

User Stats

Votes
Nkechi Jarvis
Votes |
Replied Mar 26 2023, 09:04
Quote from @Arthur S.:

Thank you!

Hi Nkechi,
I like this article as it highlights the different options based on the number of doors so you don't end up paying for unnecessary features:

There is a big difference between software focused on 1-10 properties and one focused on 200 or more doors.  

The article hasn't been updated recently as I know Azibo is missing, which we are just starting to use for accounting, so that is another option.  Cozy is now Apartments.com as well.  Good luck!  

Thank you! I'll check the article out.

User Stats

Votes
Nkechi Jarvis
Votes |
Replied Mar 26 2023, 09:06
Quote from @Soh Tanaka:

I would definitely use software that makes an automatic rent payment. I use apartments.com, it works just fine. Rather than that, you can really just use Excel for now. The next step for me would be to use accounting software more than property management software. There are really very limited activities going on with just one unit. 

Thank you for your response...I'll explore this software as well. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Nkechi Jarvis
Votes |
Replied Mar 26 2023, 09:16
Quote from @Alex Pelletier:

Hey Arthur, thanks for mentioning us. 

Nkechi, I think you'll find that as you look for solutions, there are a lot of different variables and great tools available. Some questions you may be asking yourself:
1) How much am I looking to spend? 
2) How robust are the tools that I am seeking? Do you want to be able to scale to infinite or have the most simple and streamlined solution?

3) Do I need maintenance, listing, accounting, banking, insurance, and more all in one place? What's the best combination of these? 

There are so many platforms like Turbotenant, Avail, Tenantcloud, Azibo, Innago, Apartments.com, Rentredi, and more which will all be great at some of these above! There are always strengths and weaknesses for every platform, especially lower-cost solutions. The good news is that because most of the above are free or have cheaper prices of entry, you can test these out and get a feel for what's best! 

If you ever have any questions about Azibo, feel free to DM me! I'm part of the team there and am always looking for feedback so we can be the best solution for investors like yourself. 

Thank you for the detailed response. I will check these out. Many thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Nkechi Jarvis
Votes |
Replied Mar 31 2023, 06:41
Quote from @Arthur S.:

Thank you!

Hi Nkechi,

User Stats

Votes
Nkechi Jarvis
Votes |
Replied Mar 31 2023, 06:42

@Arthur S Thanks for your response!

User Stats

Votes
Tommy Parker
  • Property Manager
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Charlotte, NC
Replied Mar 31 2023, 07:04

Congrats on your first property. I've never heard of schedulemyrent.com. I have used Innago for the past couple years and I found it very effective for my business. Plus they are free for property owners/landlords. I'd highly recommend!

User Stats

Votes
Nkechi Jarvis
Votes |
Replied Mar 31 2023, 12:56
Quote from @Tommy Parker:

Congrats on your first property. I've never heard of schedulemyrent.com. I have used Innago for the past couple years and I found it very effective for my business. Plus they are free for property owners/landlords. I'd highly recommend!

@Tommy Thank you for your response!