• Snohomish, WA
Votes |
How to pre-screen tenants so I can get the best applicants

Kobe McDaniel
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Snohomish, WA
Posted Mar 27 2023, 14:48

Hi All,

What is the best way to go about pre-screening tenants so that I can get the best pool of applicants? Obviously we would also do this legally as well. I think I remember this from a Bigger Pockets podcast episode but cannot remember which one?

User Stats

Votes
Cory J Thornton
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied Mar 27 2023, 17:12

@Kobe McDaniel - Whatever standard you develop, I would write it down, and use it for every application. This approach helps provide consistency as well as giving you a way to prove you treated everyone equally in the event a complaint is ever filed. 

Here is what we do to screen our tenants. 

1) Did they follow the application process and submit everything as requested. If so, start checking their info, if not, move onto the next applicant. 

2) Run an eviction history report 

3) Run criminal background check 

4) check sex offender list 

5) Set a ratio between rent and minimum income. For example, we us 1 to 3. If rent is $1200 per month, then they need an income of $3600 to apply. Make sure you verify income. 

6) Ask for landlord references and call them all. 

7) Ask for employment info, and call the previous employers as well as current employers. 

8) Set a minimum credit score. We use 650. If all the other areas check out, then we will sometimes make this standard our one compromise. If we bend on the credit score we will do something else to offset risk like a double deposit. 

9) If they have pets and if you allow pets, be sure you put an entire process in place to manage this risk. 

I'll be interested to see what other methods folks have to validate good applicants ... best of luck as you get ready to lease your property! 

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Mar 27 2023, 17:48

Include tougher barriers to entry, must make three times the rent, 600 minimum credit score, etc.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Mar 28 2023, 05:34
Quote from @Kobe McDaniel:

Here's a detailed guide to help: https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

I put my pre-screening requirements in each advertisement. If applicants know you require a credit/criminal screening and charge $XX for each person, that will chase away a lot of tire kickers. If they know you require verifiable income 3x the rent, or that you won't accept dogs over 30 pounds, it will chase away a lot of tire kickers.

Pre-screening should include 3-4 of the most important disqualifiers so a reader can quickly determine whether it's worth their time to inquire further.

I always review the application first to ensure it's complete, they've paid the application fee, everyone in their party has applied, and there are no immediate disqualifiers (lack of income, registered sex offender, etc.). If they've pre-screened and then passed my visual review, then I'll process the application.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Bud Gaffney
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Boston, MA
Replied Mar 28 2023, 07:02

3X income to rent ratio

650+ credit

No evictions

Verify Income / Past Landlords

VET VET VET!

User Stats

Votes
Bud Gaffney
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Boston, MA
Replied Mar 28 2023, 07:03

Clean background check. No priors.

User Stats

Votes
Miller McSwain
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Mar 29 2023, 21:35

Great tips given thusfar!

Our actual pre-screening process looks like this:
1. We list our criteria (similar to that previously listed) in our listing. This way some prospects disqualify themselves.
2. If someone is interested, we have them fill out a Pre-Screening Google From. This is totally free for the prospect and isn't verified information. But the purpose is to quickly gather info and tell a tenant if it probably isn't worth their time to them to fill out an official application. So for example, we ask for their ballpark scredit score. If it is under our criteria, I'll tell them that they likely wouldn't qualify; however, they are welcome to fill out an application.
3. Lastly, they fill out the official application (through Innago in our case), and this returns the more verified info such as background check and credit check.

I hope this helps 😀

User Stats

Votes
Vicki X.
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Mar 30 2023, 04:43
Quote from @Kobe McDaniel:

Hi All,

What is the best way to go about pre-screening tenants so that I can get the best pool of applicants? Obviously we would also do this legally as well. I think I remember this from a Bigger Pockets podcast episode but cannot remember which one?

almost every rental management tool has pre-screening built in, which is east to use. there are 10+ such tools and the ones I’ve used: azibo, Hemlane, Turbotenant, Zillow rental manager.

They mostly use TU SmartMover for background checks.

Choose the platform with the most complete features that matter for you, and that is friendly to use. Let me know if you’d like to learn more.