Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes

Tenant Broke the garage door but claims that it's rust..

Posted Mar 30 2023, 12:16

So I have a quick question that may be obvious. I have a tenant that has broken the garage automatic door presumably from backing into it, but she is claiming that it is because of rust and has requested that I fix it. I will of course fix the door, but I'm thinking this should be deducted from the security deposit.

Is this something that I communicate with the itemized deductions at move out, or should I communicate it now? 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 30 2023, 12:21

You should address it now. Figure out what really broke it. If it was a car backing into it it should be pretty easy to prove. If it was old and rusty I would offer to split the repair cost. 

User Stats

Votes
Ned J.
  • Investor
  • Manteca, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Manteca, CA
Replied Mar 30 2023, 13:06

If its due to rust, it will be pretty obvious....if its due to someone hitting it with their car, it will be pretty obvious. Id have the "garage door guy" that will be replacing it give you a report and estimate.

If the thing was old, rusty and pretty beat up already.... then they hit it with their car to speed up its demise by years of lifespan, then I'd prorate the cost to the tenant. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Greg M.#4 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Greg M.#4 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Mar 30 2023, 14:13

As others have stated, if they hit it, they fix it.

However, if you replace it, you can only charge them based on the life expectancy of the door. If the life expectancy is 20 years and it is 10 years old, you can only charge 50%. If it's 30 years old, they pay nothing...

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 3 2023, 13:32

Awesome help. Definitely worth getting the garage door repair man to check it out. But is this something I just deduct at the end of the lease from their deposit, or should I tell her it will be deducted now?

User Stats

Votes
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Votes |
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Replied Apr 3 2023, 21:13
Quote from @Liam Martin Ruane:

Awesome help. Definitely worth getting the garage door repair man to check it out. But is this something I just deduct at the end of the lease from their deposit, or should I tell her it will be deducted now?

Aloha,

Neither. Once an actual determination of prior condition and what "broke" means, if the tenant is responsible, bill them for the repair, providing the report and invoice from the contractor. Security Deposits are for damages at move out only. You can choose to negotiate a payment plan, if it is a significant amount, but otherwise, it is due with the next rent payment, unless local law differs.