Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Sheila Peschges
Pro Member
  • Saint Paul, MN
Votes |
Deductibility of Rental loan interest if loan was used to pay off personal loans

Sheila Peschges
Pro Member
  • Saint Paul, MN
Posted Apr 4 2023, 12:52

We pulled 200K out of our rental.  With the new loan, 25% was still covering previous rehabbing and the 75% we used to pay off personal loans.  Do you feel any of this interest is deductible on our rental property?  I've been told that if we used the cash out money for personal loans that the interest is no longer deductible on the property. 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Apr 5 2023, 05:06
Quote from @Sheila Peschges:

We pulled 200K out of our rental.  With the new loan, 25% was still covering previous rehabbing and the 75% we used to pay off personal loans.  Do you feel any of this interest is deductible on our rental property?  I've been told that if we used the cash out money for personal loans that the interest is no longer deductible on the property. 

If it's not mortgage interest and it's not used to renovate a property, then it may not qualify for a deduction. Check with a CPA because it may qualify as a deduction under other circumstances.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Sheila Peschges
Pro Member
  • Saint Paul, MN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Saint Paul, MN
Replied Apr 7 2023, 17:10

Thank you Nathan.  I appreciate your input.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes