Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes

Should I equip my rental with or without Appliances

Brandon Martinez
Posted Apr 22 2023, 02:11

Good Morning everyone,

I will be moving out my home next month and will be renting it out. I bought my house last year with a dishwasher stove and a over the range microwave. I do plan on leaving those there. I did have to buy a refrigerator, along with a washer and dryer. Should I leave my washer and dyer along with my refrigerator? Pros and cons?

Thank you all!

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied Apr 22 2023, 04:58

This question has been asked a few times.  What is normal for your area?  I provide appliances in my rentals because I don't want tenants moving appliances in and out of the home.  Especially for washers and dryers, I can only imagine the damage if they aren't connected properly.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Apr 22 2023, 05:12
Quote from @Brandon Martinez:

Most people are not interested in dragging appliances from home to home. They expect the kitchen appliances to be included. Washer/dryer is very hit-or-miss. Some Landlords include them, while others do not. Washer/dryer is the most heavily abused appliance in a home, so keep that in mind. If you have a higher-class property, the washer/dryer may be used properly and require little maintenance. On the other hand, higher-class Tenants may prefer to purchase their own.

Do what you feel is comfortable for you.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Apr 22 2023, 12:56

I do not include washers/dryers and fridges in my rentals. They always need maintenance and become a future headache.

User Stats

Votes
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Votes |
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Replied Apr 22 2023, 13:48
Aloha,

What does your competition provide? I am assuming the dishwasher is built in, so obviously you are not removing that. Range, Refer, and Microwave, should provide all or none based on local norms for the type and location of property. Washer/Dryer, again depends on the norm, but also possibly where they would be located. If in the garage or outside of the living area, you could easily remove them if you choose, as a Tenant could rent a set or buy their own used set. If they were a stacked set in a closet, definitely leave them, and make sure you have new anti-burst supply hoses for them. Elsewhere in the living space, personally, I would leave them unless you have a free place to store them for your own future use.

Appliances simply are not usually problematic, unless you are leaving 10 year old appliances for your tenants. They most certainly do provide additional value to support your rental rate in most circumstances. At turnovers, occasionally we need to do a quick sand and respray of refer doors or exposed sides. Dishwashers, if tenants never use them for anything but storage, will need to be replaced, but otherwise, aside from clearing the drain line occasionally, last longer than other appliances. Ranges occasionally need a new element, and drip pans get replaced at turnover as a tenant expense. Only executive level units get a glass top or anything more extravagant than a "self-cleaning" option, and any "slide-in" ranges are changed to free standing when ever they do get replaced. Refers do have higher maintenance, but again we limit replacement choices to basic units without through the door water or ice. We visually check door gaskets at turnover and interim inspections, as well as any issue with ice buildup. Most refers we will send a tech out no more than twice over a period of years before replacing the unit. We also require verbal quotes from tech for any appliance repairs once they are on site and have completed troubleshooting. At that point we make a repair/replace decision, based on the dollar amount of the repair vs. cost to replace.

User Stats

Votes
Alecia Loveless
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Apr 22 2023, 20:27

@Brandon Martinez in my area refrigerators are standard. In some of my nicer units I provide W/D and I also have coin op in some. Depends on your area.