Votes
Whitney Breedlove
  • Clear Lake, TX
Votes |
Landscaping - What would you do?

Whitney Breedlove
  • Clear Lake, TX
Posted Apr 25 2023, 09:44

I would like to turn my primary residence as a rental property in the next couple of years but it has pretty extravagant landscaping. I do not want to pay to maintain the landscaping as it is thousands of dollars a year (plus the hassle of having to manage paying the yard guy), but I also don't want our tenants to let it get completely overgrown and be an eyesore for our neighbors (and then I'd have to pay anyway to have it cleaned up when they move.) I've thought about ripping everything out and just doing bare minimal landscaping but this would probably cost in the ballpark of $10k due to the labor, and then when I go to sell it one day, it wouldn't have the same curb appeal. Seems like there's no way to win here! What do yall do with your rental properties when it comes to landscaping?

User Stats

Votes
Charles Carillo
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • North Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • North Palm Beach, FL
Replied Apr 25 2023, 10:10

@Whitney Breedlove

Maybe sell it instead of making it a rental. You will get the top price in the current condition it is now while utilizing the Home Sale Exclusion from Capital Gains Tax ($250k or $500k). You do not have to worry about neglect or having to make any repairs when you are ready to sell. Also, if you did rent it for a few years, and then you wanted to sell, it might need to be vacant while you did the repairs prior to the sale which will require you to pay mortgage/expenses without any income, during the repair, and sale period.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Apr 26 2023, 05:21
Quote from @Whitney Breedlove:

You will have to bite the bullet one way or the other.

I would investigate a landscaper first to see if it's financially reasonable to pay someone. You can roll some of that cost into the rent because many tenants will pay extra just to avoid mowing and weeding but still enjoying the beautiful oasis.

If it's not affordable, then I would consider selling the property while the market is still strong and investing somewhere else.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 26 2023, 05:34
Quote from @Whitney Breedlove:

I would like to turn my primary residence as a rental property in the next couple of years but it has pretty extravagant landscaping. I do not want to pay to maintain the landscaping as it is thousands of dollars a year (plus the hassle of having to manage paying the yard guy), but I also don't want our tenants to let it get completely overgrown and be an eyesore for our neighbors (and then I'd have to pay anyway to have it cleaned up when they move.) I've thought about ripping everything out and just doing bare minimal landscaping but this would probably cost in the ballpark of $10k due to the labor, and then when I go to sell it one day, it wouldn't have the same curb appeal. Seems like there's no way to win here! What do yall do with your rental properties when it comes to landscaping?

I have experienced on this. My suggestion is you have to forget your house landscaping. Your tenant is guaranteed 200% would destroy your landscaping. 

Either you forget the landscaping or just sell it out while you can.

User Stats

Votes
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Votes |
Richard F.#1 Tenant Screening Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Honolulu, HI
Replied Apr 26 2023, 09:34
Aloha,

We manage properties where the Tenant is required, per specific terms in the Rental Agreement, to maintain the specified area of the yard at least twice per month, to include grass cutting and trimming low shrubs to ensure they do not touch the house. The Owner is responsible for any higher work, including tree trimming which may happen annually or every other year, depending on the property.

User Stats

Votes
Hunter Reed
  • New to Real Estate
  • Emporia State University
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Emporia State University
Replied Apr 26 2023, 13:36

There is nothing wrong with putting in some good ole sweat equity! If I were in your position then I would evade the landscape myself unless I lived 200 miles away then I would not worry about it.

User Stats

Votes
Dave Skow
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Seattle, WA
Replied Apr 26 2023, 13:45

@Whitney Breedlove-  thanks ..interesting ...dont remove an asset  like this  ....consider scaling back on landscapr visits ...consider  removing  some items and replacing them with something else that requires lower care ...when you rent it - advertise the yard and maybe  get a  slight  premium  for it from someone that  values the setting - good luck

User Stats

Votes
Henry T.
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied May 1 2023, 15:04

Sell it and buy three houses(that you don't care about) with the proceeds.  Cover the tenant yards with beauty bark, gravel, and drought resistant trees. Douse with Round Up where needed. If you need a stately house again, sell the rentals.