General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Sandy G.
Votes |
Prospective tenant wearing cap with marijuana leaf motif to showing

Sandy G.
Posted Mar 5 2024, 16:47

Good evening all.  So they say if you listen, people will tell you who they really are.  Well, how about if a prospective tenant shows up wearing sunglasses at night and a cap with a big marijuana leaf printed on the front and all over the sides?  Think he could be telling me something??  I've already been down that road with pot smokers.  Last tenants claimed they "did not smoke anything at all" but when we posted their 3-day notice, the pot smell was lurking out from under the front door.  Upon return of the property, it was clear they had been heavily smoking pot inside.  We had been inside the property several months before to meet with them and did not detect it then - they were burning incense (should have been a clue).  I think they smoked inside since they had nothing to loose at that point (stopped paying rent).  It's a shame since they have 2 young children.  Would have never guessed people would smoke pot in the house with kids there, especially with one that has asthma and allergies.  Guess I was wrong.  

Anyhow, gut feeling tells me this is a preview of the future.  Also, told me money is not an issue but in the same breath asked if they could give less than 3 month's rent to move in (I had already explained the requirements).  Another red flag.  Sadly, this is becoming  all too familiar...  Next...

User Stats

Votes
Bjorn Ahlblad
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Replied Mar 5 2024, 18:05

Just keep screening those tenants @Sandy G. it will pay off. 

User Stats

Votes
Sandy G.
Votes |
Replied Mar 5 2024, 18:08

@Bjorn Ahlblad Will do!  Thank you so much! 

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Mar 5 2024, 18:44

Marijuana is legal in most of the country at this point. Who cares if someone smokes pot. 

District Invest Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Sandy G.
Votes |
Replied Mar 5 2024, 19:30

Yes indeed it may be legal in most parts but not everyone wants to smell it.  We are still trying to get the smell out of our rental.  I'm sure the other tenants would complain, as well.

User Stats

Votes
Sandy G.
Votes |
Replied Mar 5 2024, 19:36
Quote from @Clint Monroe:

Trust those instincts – they're usually spot on. The cap with the ganja leaf? That's like a billboard for pot enthusiasts. And sunglasses at night? I mean, who does that unless they're trying to hide something? 

Your past experience with sneaky smokers is a solid teacher. The whole money spiel with wanting to pay less upfront is waving more red flags than a bullfight. Don't ignore those vibes. Save yourself the future headache, my friend. Keep the search going for someone with a cap less, shall we say, herbally decorated.

Good advice indeed.  Thank you.  Gut instincts are usually right.  

LOL.  I'm glad we can find the humor in it all, keeps us sane.  All the best to you!

User Stats

Votes
Tim J.
  • Investor
  • Vermont and New York
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Vermont and New York
Replied Mar 5 2024, 21:38
Quote from @Russell Brazil:

Marijuana is legal in most of the country at this point. Who cares if someone smokes pot. 

Just to be clear...

Marijuana absolutely IS ILLEGAL in all of the US per federal law.  But in some jurisdictions there are no local laws prohibiting it and likely few to no local law enforcement will enforce federal laws...

But, I think the point you are trying to make is worth noting - it is no longer hidden or considered taboo. 

What I would be concerned about is the folks who just sit around all day smoking.  That is an issue.  It is also reasonable to question the decision making of adults who smoke in the house when young children are present.  We have a NO SMOKING (of anything) inside the unit.  

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Mar 6 2024, 05:37
Quote from @Sandy G.:

I don't care about pot-heads wasting their lives away; it keeps my rental base strong. However, I absolutely will not allow it in my rentals, particularly in multi-family where it finds its way into the neighboring units.

I don't know that I would reject him for his stupid hat, but I would definitely reject him for the request that I lower my standards.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Sandy G.
Votes |
Replied Mar 6 2024, 06:49

Thanks for all the advice.  We also have a NO SMOKING of anything inside unit policy including vaping but people will still try to get away with it anyway. They will lie and say they don’t smoke (anything).  We also have a crime free/drug free addendum as part of our rental agreement that is explained and signed by tenants.  Agreed it’s illegal at a Federal level but here in Florida they hand out medical marijuana cards to anyone that will buy one. Just sitting at a red light and you can smell it.  Already had several experiences with tenants violating our rental terms and disturbing other tenants by smoking pot.  Just trying to avoid ANOTHER one of the those situations and nipping it in the bud.  

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 15 2024, 06:22

it’s just weed, long as they paying the rent on time. blaze up. it’s a part of business, i don’t mind it. if it was something else, i would be highly concerned. like you have to vacate concerns.