• Clifton Park, NY
Votes |
House Hacking & Landlording Tenant Relationship

Natali Cobb
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Clifton Park, NY
Posted Mar 20 2024, 11:43

Hi all, wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the HH forum as it relates to both. 

I've seen a lot of people post in the forums about if you're house hacking, to not let tenants know you are the landlord. This makes a lot of sense to me, you wouldn't want them knocking on your door 24/7 for simple issues. My question is, how do you navigate this? Won't they at some point need to meet the landlord? When there are issues, when handing over keys, etc. It seems impossible to not let them know your identity. 

Any information and words of wisdom are greatly appreciated!

User Stats

Votes
Sasha Mohammed
  • Lender
  • Costa Mesa, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Costa Mesa, CA
Replied Mar 20 2024, 11:58

Hi @Natali Cobb

I'm doing a house hack (4 bed 3 bath) where i reside in the property as well. I dont hide that i'm the landlord. Many tenants/ roomies prefer this, and those who don't want to live with the LL, its probably best they know before they move in, right?

That said, initially it was a bit of a hurdle just navigating from going from fellow tenant/ roomie to LL/ roomie. What i came up with to create some separation was -- if its a roomie issue, text me, talk to me, personal relationship. If its a Landlord thing, send me an email as you would an outside LL. 

Typically, my roomies/ tenants become good friends of mine. we live together, build friendships over time, etc. so most things are done pretty casually. There is obviously a formal lease, and we also supplement with a room mate agreement which outlines the more specific things like overnight guests and expectations in dispute resolutions/ cleaning/ care for the home and appliances, etc.

I haven't received one formal "LL request" email yet, other than a formal 30 day notice in the event of a move out, which is usually after they've come talked to me in person about it to begin with. if there's an issue, it tends to be pretty limited to "hey, we have this shower rod falling off"... which im usually here to deal with (and tbh most of the time they like to fix it up with me), and it doesnt need to turn into a big thing. 

as for keys, i have the house on a yale smart lock, so 'handing over keys' is just official move out, walkthrough of the room for damages, and then I can delete their access code and access to the smart home systems without having to re-key the house. 

Always happy to talk about my experiences further if you'd like. I am about 9 years in the roomie/tenant house hack (where i basically PM'ed for the LL from the inside); and about 2.5 years in the roomie/LL bucket. 

one piece i will add, i try my best to not "call shots" and keep things pretty democratic/ open for dialogue discussion between everyone. unless its a safety issue (or a liability issue, like guests can be)... i prefer this to be "our home" instead of "my house". 

User Stats

Votes
Natali Cobb
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Clifton Park, NY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
  • Clifton Park, NY
Replied Mar 20 2024, 12:17

@Sasha Mohammed

Hey! Thanks a ton for all the info. I've got a few other questions that I'll DM you about, if you don't mind. Super helpful!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.