Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
S Harper
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Denver-metro, CO
Votes |
Tenant moved out - things that are chargable?

S Harper
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Denver-metro, CO
Posted Apr 15 2014, 19:38

I had a tenant for 5.5 years who just moved out, and it is my first time turning over a property. I spent several days repainting (lots of holes, marks, etc), cleaning, steam cleaning the carpet - am not planning on charging since this fits in with 'wear and tear', sanding out all of the writing her boyfriend's kids did on the cedar walls in the living room. I also placed craigslist "free" ads for items that she left - 24 containers of flooring adhesive, 10 rolls of carpet & padding remnants - and don't plan on charging for my time to deal with the ads and the people.

Things I am planning on charging her for are the supplies for a broken ceiling light, 2 missing smoke detectors, missing window screen, ruined screen door, hazmat disposal facility fee, landfill truckload of garbage fee.

One of the bedroom doorknobs was in 2 pcs - is this wear and tear on an older house?

Two exterior doorknobs have huge dents and are misshapen from her dog - they technically work, but look like cr*p. If I replace them, they will be on different keys unless I pay to have them re-keyed.

She replaced the front door locks after her roommate died, and changed another 2 locks due to dog destroying the doorknobs. When they moved in there were 4 exterior locks on one key - now they are 4 on 4 keys. Can I charge her the re-keying cost?

Thanks for any advice! I read through a lot of the older threads on turning over rentals, but am looking for a bit of reassurance before presenting the tenant with the final bill & the remains of her damage deposit.

Loading replies...