Cash for Keys - Question

5 Replies

I have a tenant that has agreed to move out by the end of the month. I'm going to take him the paperwork to sign today. Regardless, I don't trust him. If he were to sign the agreement then not move out, would I have the right to move his things out and have him removed--or would I need to formally evict him anyway?

Has anyone had any experience with a tenant not honoring cash for keys?

Only a win in eviction court gives you the right to remove your tenants stuff if they don't leave willingly.

Don't hand over the cash until they're out.

You would still have to formally evict him.

Thanks, Jon. I was hoping to avoid even the first step of the eviction process (and save $130), but perhaps it would be prudent to go ahead and file it--just in case.

I am going through the same thing right now. Tenants signed agreement saying they will be out March 15th They are still there. I filed for eviction ahead of time because I did not believe them. The county sheriff should be coming to put them out in the next 2 weeks.

Yeah, if you don't trust him to go, then go ahead and spend the $130 so you at least have that eviction already in the works if he doesn't leave.

Also be sure you do not give him a dime until he is outside and gives you the keys. Change those locks right then and there. Good luck!

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here