Vinyl Laminate Flooring

4 Replies

We're considering vinyl laminate flooring in a nice 3 bedroom, 2 bath home and we're wondering about its durability. It seems like it should be a good flooring option for an income property, but are there concerns with it coming back up since it is not a glue down surface? I've read that if the home is too warm or too cool - or it gets too much sunlight it can expand or contract and come apart. Anyone with this installed for a year or two have any advice?

Are you talking about vinyl planks or laminate floor? I have the vinyl planks in one of mine and about to put them in another. They've been in for about 2 years and they're holding up well. No expansion issues and they've been abused. I just throw some mop-n-glo down and they're looking new again. Warning when using the sticky ones though if you misalign one row that can throw your whole install off. I'm going with the click lock planks(Allure Ultra) going forward.

Gary,

What area are you looking to cover with vinyl? Without knowing the specifics, I would keep in mind the home its going in and the tenants your looking to attract. If you have a nice rental that attracts good tenants, you may want to invest in a more expensive flooring, like tile for kitchens and baths. You want your home to remain competitive with the other choices customers have when it comes to housing. Quality housing at affordable prices is what will give you a competitive advantage if the market becomes flooded with rentals in your area.

However, if it is a rental for low income families, you will want to consider something that will be inexpensive to replace, but durable enough to handle abuse. Therefore, I thinks its best to consider the type of home you own and the tenants your property attracts. Good paying tenants have a choice where they live and you want to make sure they choose to rent from you.

If this is a rental, go with tile for durability purposes! If fix and flip, laminate is fine in bedrooms but I still would go with tile in kitchen and living room.