• Contractor
  • Valparaiso , IN
Votes |
Husband tells wife to leave, want me to remove her from new lease

Chris Adams
  • Contractor
  • Valparaiso , IN
Posted Jun 26 2014, 03:23

Husband and wife with 5 kids rent from me, there was a domestic disturbance and the police where called. The husband filed for a divorce and wants the wife and her 3 kids to leave. Now at the same time their lease with me is expiring, and the husband asked me to write a new lease with just him and his 2 kids as tenants.

My initial thought is that since she is on the lease she has some rights and if i just remove her from the lease I could end up with problems. Yesterday both the husband and wife called me asking what was going to happen. 

My answer to both of them was I am a landlord not a marriage counselor, I suggest you both work this out calmly and I am looking into who has what rights. 

The husband has always been the only wage earner since they have been tenants. I would lease to him again since he pays on time and they keep the house clean.

So can I write a new lease for just the husband and his kids, or will this get me in legal trouble. She has a divorce attorney, so I want to be sure I do this correctly.

Loading replies...