Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Wyssmann
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
Do you get pissed about no-shows for property viewings then use this tip.

Aaron Wyssmann
  • Springfield, MO
Posted Aug 1 2014, 13:27

When I got my first couple rental homes I set up a time to meet them over at the property.  Not only did it take so much time but I would get so pissed when I had no shows.  I could even call them while I was at the property and they wouldn't answer.

So I met a local investor and he shared with me something that works great.  Buy a Master Lock box from any retailer like Lowe's, Home Depot or even online.  I buy the ones where they open by entering a four digit combo.  In good neighborhoods I put them on the front door and in bad or questionable neighborhoods I put them on the back door.  The reason I put them on the back door is because if the low-lifes of this world see a lockbox on a door it is a tell-tale sign that the property is vacant and they will come steal or vandalize the property.

As people call about the property I vet them a bit.  Ask things like where they work, how long they've worked there, where they currently live and why they are moving.  If I get a good feel from each of these questions and they are interested and want to see inside, I then share with them the code to get in.  

This is the important part though...ask them to call you back when they are done viewing the property so that I know that it is locked back up.  Everyone always is understanding of this and everyone always calls back.  This also gives me the opportunity to ask them how they liked the property and if they are interested in filling out an application. In the seven or so years that I've used this trick, I've never had anyone do any damage to my property.

So what tips/tricks do you have in saving time, money or energy with your investment properties?

Loading replies...