How should I handle this? (Texas)

10 Replies

Not really a big deal but my tenant is complaining about cockroaches in the house. It states clearly in the lease that the tenant is responsible for all pest control (standard TREC lease language). How do you guys handle this? I figure being polite but just reminding them that this is part of the agreement? I Don't want to ruffle any feathers but want to keep things on a good standing.

If they are paying on time spray one time and let them know all the cockroaches are dead or gone and if they comeback the next spray is on you.

Joe Gore

I've told them I will care for them them after they clean the place up.  The critters eat fat and protein (food and pee).  So when those things are thoroughly cleaned up I get a pack of three bug bombs at the local big box for $10 and tell them to leave for the day.  Then remind them of their contractual obligation and refer them to an exterminator for future problems. 

Also if you have any methods to get rid of these things that would be appreciated as well.

We mix diesel fuel and boric acid together and the cockroaches never came back.

Joe Gore

@Joe Gore Joe, I have used boric acid in the past. Very effective. How do you apply the mixture? And a hint on proportion?

We mix 50/50 and the cockroaches leave town.

Joe Gore

@Joe Gore Boric acid and diesel fuel? Wow never heard of that mixture before. Sounds like a combo that would repel me haha. Where is it being sprayed? For example outside house perimeter or inside house where the floor and ground meet?

Outside and inside.

Joe Gore

I would personally spray inside and outside of the property to inspect the place myself. I would want to verify to there's not a water leak or some other problem that is contributing to the issue. 

I like Bugtime Do It Yourself Pest Control in Stafford, Texas. I'm sure they would be glad to answer any questions and also have an online store. [email protected]

This is what I would use. Bifen IT insecticide is comparable to the very popular Talstar, but is much less expensive. Bifen IT provides excellent control of over 75 insect pests, leaves a long-lasting residual for up to 3 months indoors and one moth outdoors, is odorless, non-staining, dries clear and is safe around children and pets when used as directed. Bifen IT and the other bifenthrin products can be used both indoors and outdoors, on lawns and ornamentals, and even in the kitchen. Be sure to keep pets out of the treated area until it has a chance to fully dry. Once completely dry, Bifen IT is completely safe for your pets.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.