Single Family Lease vs Apartment lease In Baltimore City, MD

3 Replies

I have multi unit properties and have recently aquired a single family for the first time. It is now ready for rent. My question is how different is the lease for a single family home compared to a multi unit apartment, I'm in the Baltimore City, MD?

The structure of the lease should be somewhat similar to the multi unit property you have. The only difference I see is that the mentality of the renter seems to be a little different. Especially if the property is a 3+ bedroom home. over time the SFR stays in the property from my experience. They could change based upon many factors though. I am in Atlanta and i am basing my knowledge of my market. I don't know about Baltimore.

Originally posted by @Gerald Harris :

The structure of the lease should be somewhat similar to the multi unit property you have. The only difference I see is that the mentality of the renter seems to be a little different. Especially if the property is a 3+ bedroom home. over time the SFR stays in the property from my experience. They could change based upon many factors though. I am in Atlanta and i am basing my knowledge of my market. I don't know about Baltimore.

Thanks Gerald for your input. They are pretty much the same as you stated, the main difference is the water meter payments which I don't charge for in my multi units and the potential of a lien against the property if it goes delinquent. I had to add a clause that allows for the security deposit to be subtracted from for said bill if delinquent and have late fees added as well. 

For Baltimore City there is a specific addendum needed to the lease for water to be treated as additional rent.

The Baltimore County Library provides access, for those with library cards, to the uslegalforms web site, which has leases and lots of other MD specific documents. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.