Cane Corso puppy

3 Replies

Hi all,

I have a great tenant who has been requesting I allow them to get a dog. I have decided to go ahead and allow them to get a dog as I believe it will create a 'home' like environment. These tenants pay the rent early, take care of the home and are just generally good people. I said they would need to sign an addendum to our lease to reference pets and the tenants responsibility for any damages caused by the pet and they had no issues. Since I told them I could not allow any dogs on my insurance deny coverage list I really expected them to come back with a small breed dog. They want a cane corso! From what I can see this seems like a docile large breed dog but I am nervous about damages. This is a small 3/1 1100 Sq Ft home.

Should I have asked for more in the monthly rent? Did I just destroy my chance at profit due to animal destruction?

@Jon Lafferty   my best friend has a Cane Corso and a Great Dane. Both are very sweet, gentle giants and neither are destructive. That being said, just like humans dogs each have their own personalities and they're all different so no guarantees. 

If it were me, I would (at the very least) require a non-refundable pet deposit and up the rent by about $30/month.

You may be safe though... if they're generally good people who take care of their home like you say, they will not tolerate an animal that will destroy their living space. They'll keep it in a kennel while they're gone and teach it proper obedience. It may make you feel better to see if they'll let you stop by and meet the pup after they've picked it up. 

Sorry my answer is convoluted. I'm not sure there's a straight answer for these scenarios! Good luck :)

Cane Corsos are also Italian Mastiffs. A friend has one. It's quite intimidating to see it, but if they're socialized, they can be very friendly. She got it as a watchdog though. The key is to think about what would happen if you have to go into the property when your tenants aren't home. If the dog outgrows a crate, and it will unless they get a huge one, how will the dog react to you? A dog that size can seriously injure a neighbor or anyone else. 

Did your insurance company say they would allow this?

I've dealt with a LOT of dogs in my life (like well over 300) as an owner, trainer and bird hunter. And in my experience big dogs are way less headache than little dogs. They bark less, they destroy fewer things and are generally easier all around (with the exception of rescue pitbulls). 

Here is what I would recommend: Ask them to enroll in a reputable dog obedience class. The kind where the owners and dog go together. Most new dog owners have no idea how to train a puppy and the information available online is all over the map, and frankly, its not the dog that needs training, it's the new owners that need help. Taking a class with a legit trainer will teach them a lot about how to handle a dog, how to keep it from destroying your house and make life easier on everyone overall. (sorry about the bold I can't turn it off) 

Classes last anywhere from 6 - 12 weeks and the AKC maintains a list of classes and certified trainers on their website. In my opinion, that would be a better use of funds then asking for an extra $30/month. It will mean you have a well trained animal, happy tenants and a little piece of mind (no one robs houses with dogs).  

Hope that helps. And I am obviously pro-dog.