Pet Fees - NJ

2 Replies

Am I allowed to charge a pet fee for renting my house?  What are your thoughts on allowing pets?  What is a good fee to charge for pets if any?

It is sometimes very hard to find tenants who don't  have a pet. I usually try to avoid it as much as I can but it depends on your market and potential tenants. I usually charge an additional  $ 50/month for a pet with a stipulation sometimes they have to have a professional clean the HVAC ductwork upon leaving (Pet hair). I cannot charge any further pet deposit in NJ as I max out at 1.5 months security deposit and you are not allowed to go over that even if they have a pet. I try to stay away from any big pets as they can do alot of damage. 

Hi @Kinjal A.  ,

I personally don't allow any pets in my units, without exception.  But if you do then you should absolutely charge a non-refundable pet fee.  I recommend charging the cost of a professional cleaning service to clean the entire apartment (this could run about $400+).

As @Mark Langdon  correctly noted, large pets do large damage.  Please use good judgement.

Good luck and Happy Investing,

Mike

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here