handyman help!

12 Replies

Hi all, I'm up to 6 tenants in Pasco County, Fl and with a full time job, I'm starting to think I need some help. I've done everything - property manager, remodeler, lawns (I just outsourced lawns a few months back), and break \ fix. I did a lot of work up front in updating, and fixing (new water heaters, faucets, plumbing valves, switches, etc) so do not get a huge number of calls, sometimes a couple of months go by, but then I may get 2 calls in a week which is not what I'm looking to do after a full time job. 

Anyone have any local Pasco references? It won't be steady work obviously, so I'd need someone who is flexible. I hired a couple of CL handymen, but was not overly impressed with some things. One cost me money, time and problems fixing a leaking faucet, so I'm gun shy a bit with anyone who isn't vouched by someone... 

Any suggestions? I want to get more rentals, but need to square this process away before I can take much more. I think. 

Thanks Jeremy, I realize that's definitely a issue with the CL route, so still looking for any suggestions for the area.

New year, and still no handyman references in Tampa \ Pasco???

Yes;  there are very few apparently. <g>

Do you know of any?

I guess so!!! I used one that I found on Craigslist but he was OK. He was reasonable, and did good at painting, but not so much on other tasks I used him for....

@Jesse O.  - I have a guy I use for all of my rehabs and all of the properties I manage. I will send you a PM and see what kind of things you are looking to have done. I like this guy and I like the work he does and continue to use him for everything I need. I am hoping to bring him onto my staff as a full time guy once my business can support that. 

same for you @Stephen S.  , if you need a referral you can PM me. This guy lives in NPR himself so Pasco is definitely in his area. 

Go to Home Depot or Lowes at 6:30 in the morning.  The contractors/handymen there at that time actually work.  Might be a good place to scoop one up.  

@Bryan N.  Thanks for the tip, I've actually done that for general labor before, but a bit scared for something I need to come out well, how do you know they know what they claim? Have you used a trade like that before? I'm also a bit scared of liability from those guys....

@Jesse O.  

I'm not scared.  If they are up that early then most likely they are honest hard working people.  As with anything and contracting... It's a gamble.  I cruised HD a couple weeks ago looking for someone to skim the drywall in a rental.  $300 and done.  He did such a good job, I put his number in my iPhone.  Now, for full on rehabs, that requires a little homework.  But, if I'm in that situation I do as much as I personally can or hand off to someone I trust. 

WOW, ok so you gave him an important job. I'll reconsider that again then... Thanks for the tip!

Just sent you a private message with a guy I've used recently.  Did good work for the price.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.