four family needs a new roof, traditional shingles or metal?

12 Replies

Hi Folks,

I have a four family that will have a new roof put on in the spring. Am I crazy to think about a metal shingle roof vs. traditional shingles? I expect the metal will be 2X, but the ROI is in the life of the product.

Thanks,

Jeff

The question is, how long do you plan to keep the property?

the metal roof is quite significantly higher in comparison to traditional shingles. If this is a property you plan to keep for a long time and pass it to family members when you die. It might be a great investment.  Spending that significant amount of cash would probably be wiser to use it towards another investment, and going with a traditional roof. 

Traditional shingle roofs last a pretty long time 20-30 years, I'm not quite sure why you would need longer than that. 

Thanks folks.  Being a buy/hold investor I expect to have it until it's passed along to the kids. 

@Jeffery Hood  

We just replaced the roof on one of our duplexes. We got estimates from the contractor on both styles and the metal roof was actually CHEAPER and is supposed to last longer. While the product itself costs more, it can actually be installed over the existing old roof so you save money on labor for removal.

However, you'll have to think of looks as well, since I feel that not all roofs look good in metal.

@Jeffrey Hood

I would do 50 year Architect shingles, remove all old shingles down to sheathing and replace and damaged wood also.

One thing that comes to mind would be the projected value of land in 30 years. Is this property in a spot that the property would be wisely used to mow down whats there and build a larger more productive building? Just a thought.

Have your received your estimates yet?  you can estimate both ways and decide based on the input of the roofing experts. It is not just about the type of covering, it is about what has to be replaced. If you need new decking or have a simple ridge line vs dormers etc. It can make a difference in cost.  In any case we did a five family it is not like doing a single family  costwise and we had a hard time getting roofers to show to even estimate so good luck there. Our shingle roof I expect to last many years but it was all new decking so turned out to be a big job.  We have kids but there is no guarantee they will keep the place so I would not choose a roof based on that. In the end it probably depends on the job.

Originally posted by @Beth L. :

@Jeffery Hood 

We just replaced the roof on one of our duplexes. We got estimates from the contractor on both styles and the metal roof was actually CHEAPER and is supposed to last longer. While the product itself costs more, it can actually be installed over the existing old roof so you save money on labor for removal.

However, you'll have to think of looks as well, since I feel that not all roofs look good in metal.

Thanks Beth.  I understand there a three different types of metal and verbal estimates indicate that one would be about the same as the shingles, so good point on your part.  I'm going to want to remove the shingles because I expect there is sub-roofing repair work to be done. 

The new metal roofs that look like shingles do look amazing in pictures I've viewed.  I appreciate the courtesy of the reply Beth.  Happy New Year!   

Originally posted by @David Krulac :

@Jeffrey Hood

I would do 50 year Architect shingles, remove all old shingles down to sheathing and replace and damaged wood also.

Thanks David.  That's what I'm leaning towards... !  Thanks for the comment.  I appreciate it.

Originally posted by @Cole Walker :

One thing that comes to mind would be the projected value of land in 30 years. Is this property in a spot that the property would be wisely used to mow down whats there and build a larger more productive building? Just a thought.

Thanks Cole.  That's not something that I'd have ever thought about.  I can't see the land being used for a larger property given the lot.  I appreciate you taking time to provide the note.

Originally posted by @Colleen F. :

Have your received your estimates yet?  you can estimate both ways and decide based on the input of the roofing experts. It is not just about the type of covering, it is about what has to be replaced. If you need new decking or have a simple ridge line vs dormers etc. It can make a difference in cost.  In any case we did a five family it is not like doing a single family  costwise and we had a hard time getting roofers to show to even estimate so good luck there. Our shingle roof I expect to last many years but it was all new decking so turned out to be a big job.  We have kids but there is no guarantee they will keep the place so I would not choose a roof based on that. In the end it probably depends on the job.

Hi @Colleen F.   Thanks for the reply.  I have not received the estimates in writing, but was told that the metal options will come in good, better, best flavors.  Good would be the same price as the standard shingles, and the best would be about 2X.    Good point about it being what has to be replaced.  I'm anticipating some additional investments being required once the job starts and we get under the shingles.  Thanks for taking the time and sending the note.  I appreciate it.  Happy New Year!

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here